Laundry list of repairs (Driver door, blend door or actuator etc.) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Laundry list of repairs (Driver door, blend door or actuator etc.)

Brem95

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
97' Explorer Sport OHV
Hey everyone, I've got some time off work so it's been the perfect time for me to knock out some repair and maintenance items.

So far I have done:
- Plugs and wires
- Parking brake shoes and adjustment
- Oil change

Next up on the list is:
- Driver side door lock sometimes doesn't work or gets stuck in locked pos? It's a 97 sport, anyone else have this issue and a fix? Currently working on pulling the door apart without breaking any clips.

- Typical blend door or actuator not working Previous owner cut the little hole so I can manually adjust between hot/cold. I'll be ensuring actuator is working and if it is then I can order a new blend door. (Was thinking of doing the quick cut method I saw on forums last spring.)

Any suggestions or tips on the 2 remaining repairs?

Any other maintenance items? In the fall I changed tran,rear dif ball joints, tie rods, stabilizer bushings/links. etc

Thanks and hope everyone is doing alright during these trying times.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most likely you have a broken spring inside the door latch. VERY common on these vehicles. Can either figure out if you want to replace the spring (there was just a thread on here discussing this: Driver door will not lock or unlock )...or, just spend $35 and replace the latch like I did.

Most likely you have a broken spring inside the door latch. VERY common on these vehicles. Can either figure out if you want to replace the spring (there was just a thread on here discussing this: Driver door will not lock or unlock )...or, just spend $35 and replace the latch like I did.
Thanks for the reply, would this be the case even if it opens up sometimes?

That's how mine behaved last year. I'd shoot lubricant in the latch everywhere I could find an opening and it would work fine...until the next day and it would act up again. With the door panel off, I'd play with the linkage and get it to work off and on. Then, took a closer look at the inner spring as described in referenced thread and noticed it had broken and was jamming the internal linkage off and on. I just chose to buy a new latch and be done with it.

That's how mine behaved last year. I'd shoot lubricant in the latch everywhere I could find an opening and it would work fine...until the next day and it would act up again. With the door panel off, I'd play with the linkage and get it to work off and on. Then, took a closer look at the inner spring as described in referenced thread and noticed it had broken and was jamming the internal linkage off and on. I just chose to buy a new latch and be done with it.
Thanks for the help I’ll do the same! Do you have a part number?

Mine is a 4-Dr...but, pretty certain it would be the same for a Sport (wouldn't hurt to confirm with Ford Dealership).

Driver Front:

Dorman #940-400
Ford #6L5Z-7821813-C

I haven't heard of any problems with Dorman latches. I just happened to find a new Ford latch on e-Bay for the same price from a guy who had bought it for his vehicle and never installed it before selling his Explorer.

Mine is a 4-Dr...but, pretty certain it would be the same for a Sport (wouldn't hurt to confirm with Ford Dealership).

Driver Front:

Dorman #940-400
Ford #6L5Z-7821813-C

I haven't heard of any problems with Dorman latches. I just happened to find a new Ford latch on e-Bay for the same price from a guy who had bought it for his vehicle and never installed it before selling his Explorer.

Cheers, bought the last parts I need before it's all sorted - besides fuel filter which is just being done because I have no clue when it was done last. Rockauto is 95% of the time the best price even with shipping to Canada.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 11.08.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 11.08.20 AM.png
    64.6 KB · Views: 75

@Brem95

Check it out.
Your original post says that your Drivers Door Latch is the problem.
BUT your screenshot indicates that you bought the Passenger Side Latch.
The door latches are side specific and not interchangeable.
Just sayin' - It's probably easier and faster to cancel the entire order and re-order with the correct info.
Hope that helps and here's a 5% Discount Code.

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code
5% Discount Code: ACE4B6982A855D
Expires: April 17, 2020

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear About Us’ box to receive the discount.
Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers.

@Brem95

Check it out.
Your original post says that your Drivers Door Latch is the problem.
BUT your screenshot indicates that you bought the Passenger Side Latch.
The door latches are side specific and not interchangeable.
Just sayin' - It's probably easier and faster to cancel the entire order and re-order with the correct info.
Hope that helps and here's a 5% Discount Code.

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code
5% Discount Code: ACE4B6982A855D
Expires: April 17, 2020

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear About Us’ box to receive the discount.
Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers.
Well you saved me disappointment. Thanks I must have accidentally clicked right when I was checking shipping options! Thanks for the code too ;) Saved 5 bucks!

@Brem95

Glad that I could help a brother out -

giphy.gif

Replacing the front drivers door latch is a PITA on the 2 door models. Not much room to get your hands in there. You need to pretty much take everything apart to get to the three rods attached to the latch. Don't but the Dorman brand as it will not last very long, don't ask me how I know. Went with Motorcraft second time around with no problems.

I feel you Dave, going crazy trying to find stuff to do now that I’m waiting on parts. Back to the model cars haha.

Rick i’d prefer to get the motorcraft one but can’t find any locally. Everyone online besides doorman would be about double the price with shipping. Hopefully I have better luck with this one.
Did you have the same issue as me? The power lock works about 50% of the time on driver side

Yes, after a while the latch just wears out. Also look at the actuator it has a high failure rate due to the gears stripping.

@Brem95

Or - Just Sayin' - since you have time, why not buy this spring that forum member @J_C found for $9 and see how it compares to the broken one, and fix your old latch as a spare - since you'll have it out for the Dorman swap ;)

Link: 1968-1977 Ford Bronco Door Latch Spring-Broncograveyard.com

14393.jpg
Hahaha great idea, actually should try and have it as a spare. Maybe if I can find the old spring I can just try and diy my own replacement.

Thanks for the help Rick, not looking forward to doing this repair because the door panel has never been off haha.

@Brem95

It's not that hard a job - more of a PITA than anything - cramped space and you need a powerful flashlight.

Roll down window, remove interior door skin, roll up window, then have at it.

If I remember correctly, there is also a sequential order of reassembly.

It's a pretty well documented repair so since you have time read up on it so as to know what to expect.

Back