LD50 Full-size axle thread `93 Ex | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LD50 Full-size axle thread `93 Ex

LD50 Full-size axle thread `93 Ex SAS

Hey fellow Explorer enthusiasts!

Well I never thought I`d do it, but it`s time.
I originally thought I would go to a smaller rig one day but I`m going to beef up the Explorer instead. Since I already have a huge thread on my previous work I decided to start fresh.

If you would like to see my previous mods, you can navigate from my signature link, or click here:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=523171#post523171

~

My plans are to install a D44 and 9-inch into the station wagon and run 35 inch tires. Hopefully she`ll still get in the garage, but if it don`t then oh well. During this I also have some body work to do.

Right now I have the rear end out, I took off the spare tire hanger and removed the muffler and rear most heat shield. (doors are off for body work)Next the gas tank comes out so I can prep the underside for rust protection, from the t-case back. In the meantime I am trying to sell some parts for cash.

First big decision is what gear ratio. The 4.10`s on 33s was nice, but I think I`d like a bit more torque than that so I`m thinking 4.88 or 5.13s.

Attachments

• prep.JPG
    prep.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 10,422

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Doing little things here and there. I noticed today that the ends of the radius arms stick out too far to clear over knuckle steering, so that`s gotta come off.
Here`s how a coil seat looks anyway...

Attachments

• coil seat mounted.JPG
    coil seat mounted.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 1,080

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I have to make my own upper spring retainers. I got some with my coils but they are for an Early Bronco, and wont fit right.
Here it is resting on springs..

Attachments

• springs compressed.JPG
    springs compressed.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 2,823
  • springs compressed 2.JPG
    springs compressed 2.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,053

My engine crossmember work is progressing, I trimmed alot off, and then when it was even front to back I put a piece of cardboard over it and banged it with a rubber mallet. This made me a nice pattern to work with.
I marked my lines with a long level, when the Ex was sitting level.
I`m going to have flat plate along bottom with an angle toward pumpkin side..

Attachments

• eng crossmember trim and reinforce 1.JPG
    eng crossmember trim and reinforce 1.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 1,009
  • cross template.JPG
    cross template.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 1,053

Looking good there :D You're on the home stretch :D

This is looking awesome, I read the whole thread and I'm craving more!

Here`s a bit more!
Been waiting and waiting for my adjustable trac-bar to show up, three weeks go by and Lordco can`t even verify if it was ordered -yeesh.
Managed to find some time to cut my first piece of crossmember re-inforcement, but I can`t tack it on because I finally had to return the welder I borrowed, my neighbor is moving so I ran out of time is all. So Now I gotta buy one of those things I guess, because I bought my wife a 1000 dollar 92 EB explorer the other day, with 200,000kms, it had a blown head gasket which I got fixed for another 1000 but it`s otherwise in pretty good shape other than some rusty rockers I will fix this summer. I rue the day I caved in and bought the first GMC/chevy I ever owned in my life, because that 95 Jimmy is a constant headache. Two heater cores in a year and a half I can`t do it myself so that was 600 bucks each time, new rad, rear -end problems, leaks I can`t find, rattles under all that panelling I can`t find, then today on the eve of selling the biatch, the alternator goes.. sigh.
Anyway, here`s the Wife`s new ride! something I can work on!

Attachments

• 92 Eddie B.JPG
    92 Eddie B.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 1,019

I found a guy in town selling some 35 inch thornbirds on 15x10 inch and 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern rockcrawler rims with 4 inch backspacing which I think I`ll buy. They are barely worn and are in good shape, he also has a spare on a rockcrawler rim, but It`s some kind of 35 inch mudder. Anyway 750 for it all! How fortuitous it is that I found them!

I found a reamer to prepare for my over the knuckle steering and I`ll show some of that process soon. pretty busy with work but hopefully I can do some next weekend.

Here`s a pic of the piece I cut for my crossmember and my upper coil spring retainers under construction. I know it`s not that exciting, it`s a little boring for me too, I just want all this little stuff done!

Attachments

• coil retainer.JPG
    coil retainer.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 992
  • eng crossmember reinf.JPG
    eng crossmember reinf.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 980

lookin good...but the THORNBIRDS will piss ya off..theyre WORTHLESS..your better with all terrain street tires...

I don`t know how the whole thornbird idea was formed in my head, I guess I was confused between these and what the guy said he was running.
Anyway, 750 bucks (cdn) for five tires. 4 goodyear Wranglers 35x 12.5 and one super gumbo mudder 35 for spare. All on rockcrawler rims.
I guess there is not many yanks who know how big a loonie is exactly, but that`s my reference coin for tread...

Is this okay then Wanderer?
:p:

-ps. I`m not a fan of running the white lettering out, but I`ll probably stick with it now..

Attachments

• tires 1.JPG
    tires 1.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 970
  • tires 2.JPG
    tires 2.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 932

^^ Awesome ^^ Great job so far.

I don`t know how the whole thornbird idea was formed in my head, I guess I was confused between these and what the guy said he was running.
Anyway, 750 bucks (cdn) for five tires. 4 goodyear Wranglers 35x 12.5 and one super gumbo mudder 35 for spare. All on rockcrawler rims.
I guess there is not many yanks who know how big a loonie is exactly, but that`s my reference coin for tread...

Is this okay then Wanderer?
:p:

-ps. I`m not a fan of running the white lettering out, but I`ll probably stick with it now..

I APPROVE...:D ..those will make decend street tires...gotta go swamper for wheelin..or boggers...:p:

$750 cdn...so thats like $100 US??:confused:

I like my MTRs for wheeling and street running. I was running a set of TSLs before I got my MTRs. I will never own a set of swampers again. Softest, worst balancing, loudest, worthless set of tires I ever spent $500 on. My MTRs are heavily sipped and they do every bit as good in the wheeling I do. Besides, my TSLs were worthless wheeling after I drove on them 6 months and they wore out. I have heard MTRs suck in mud, but I am not a fan of mud so it works out.

Those will look cool

Good article, As you could imagine I`ve been reading tire specs and looking at rims for months and months now!

I originally planned for TSL radials, and I know for every rave review there is always someone raving at how much crap they are. Anyway, I saved a bundle of cash, the 5 rims would have probably run me 500 to buy alone, with no sources in town. Hopefully when they wear out my finances will have rebounded to where I can choose whatever I want, yeeesh I still have thousands to spend to finish this.

Kirby, I don`t like mud much either, but I live in a rainforest..

~~

So I managed to squeeze out some time to finish my upper coil retainers, they are a little beefier than the old Bronco ones that didn`t fit, and they look like this:

Attachments

• upper coil retainer 1.JPG
    upper coil retainer 1.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 927
  • upper coil retainer 2.JPG
    upper coil retainer 2.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 945

Those look good.

I like my radial tsl...They are soft tho...My front end is a little out and i can tell...they wore out pretty quick with the front end out...but the other side is great.

wanderer that would be $650.25 American dollars for those tires and rims.
(our dollar got better as soon as the US went to war :salute: )

Now I am working on my steering for the over the knuckle system.

The reamer can either be a Snap-on "R121" reamer (thanks savage wolf)
or the one I bought;
Goodson TR-216-2 tapered reamer

-they both have same taper angle

I ordered an adjustable trac-bar what.... 5 weeks ago now, and buddy at lordco either totally bungled the sale, or is full of crap. He doesn`t know where it is, where he ordered it from, or even how to find out. He does know how to shrug his shoulders and smile alot though... So I`m thinking of nixing that plan, I might go to the local machine shop and see if they have any suggestions on making the stock bar adjustable, or I`ll run with the stock one as is, haven`t decided..

Attachments

• reamer 1.JPG
    reamer 1.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 961
  • reamer 2.JPG
    reamer 2.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 949

Have you decided what you are using for the steering joints?

WOW great deal on the tires, it's comming together nicely...I hope to come by soon.

Carson

Back