LD50 Full-size axle thread `93 Ex | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LD50 Full-size axle thread `93 Ex

LD50 Full-size axle thread `93 Ex SAS

Hey fellow Explorer enthusiasts!

Well I never thought I`d do it, but it`s time.
I originally thought I would go to a smaller rig one day but I`m going to beef up the Explorer instead. Since I already have a huge thread on my previous work I decided to start fresh.

If you would like to see my previous mods, you can navigate from my signature link, or click here:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=523171#post523171

~

My plans are to install a D44 and 9-inch into the station wagon and run 35 inch tires. Hopefully she`ll still get in the garage, but if it don`t then oh well. During this I also have some body work to do.

Right now I have the rear end out, I took off the spare tire hanger and removed the muffler and rear most heat shield. (doors are off for body work)Next the gas tank comes out so I can prep the underside for rust protection, from the t-case back. In the meantime I am trying to sell some parts for cash.

First big decision is what gear ratio. The 4.10`s on 33s was nice, but I think I`d like a bit more torque than that so I`m thinking 4.88 or 5.13s.

Attachments

• prep.JPG
    prep.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 10,450

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Once I got into using the new shims I needed to bend them a little on the inside where the machined surface slopes. Normally they would bend when pressed on, so I needed them to not change when I press the new bearings on. I put them on the old carrier with one of my set up bearings, turn it over and hit the other side with a mallet, worked well..

Attachments

• D44 gear and locker install 24.JPG
    D44 gear and locker install 24.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 727

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

When I finally got it where I wanted it the pattern was acceptable according to the diagrams supplied with the install kit, and I had a backlash of 8 with 6-10 being the target.
I put the inner axle shaft oil seals in with a tool my neighbor had, didn`t get a pic but it was just a threaded shaft with two cups on either end and nuts that squeezed them out-ward

Attachments

• D44 gear and locker install 22.JPG
    D44 gear and locker install 22.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 706

Now the pinion bearing preload..
I had to add a couple shims until I got the pinion nut torqued on and had aproximately 15 inch-lbs of resistance.

Basically you spin the pinion with an inch pound torque wrench and read the resistance as it spins

(Sorry, wrong pic)

AFTER I had that all figured out I installed the oil seal not forgetting the washer/ slinger from the back of the outer bearing.
You have to put a little RTV sealant on the outside edge of the seal..
I used a doohicky I fabbed a while ago to do ball joints with my u-joint tool, I banged on that with a rubber mallet to seat it, see pic.

Attachments

• D44 gear and locker install 25.JPG
    D44 gear and locker install 25.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 704
  • D44 gear and locker install 26.JPG
    D44 gear and locker install 26.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 717

Finally I added some RTV sealant to the inside of the washer, in case oil comes up the splines, put some removable (blue) threadlocker on the threads and tightened the nut again.

PS there was a new nut and washer in the install kit, which I saved until now.

Attachments

• D44 gear and locker install 27.JPG
    D44 gear and locker install 27.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 718

Now it`s final assembly time.
I put my new u-joints on the shafts, and put some new dust shields/ seals on my outer shafts .

Attachments

• D44 assembly 1.JPG
    D44 assembly 1.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 712

Got everything on up to the spindles, I replaced the small beaings inside the spindles too, but I didn`t bolt them on yet, I actually can`t remember which brake caliper support went where, I think they slope towards the outside, but I gotta look into it -Anyone know for sure? Anyway it was a long day so I packed it in for the night. plus, I gotta clean up, my Garage is starting to look like something Mudbug would own...

Heres some more pics!
I bought the "locker blocker" from complete off-road, lol I think! I`ve ordered so much stuff from places I can`t even remember..

Attachments

• D44 assembly 2.JPG
    D44 assembly 2.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 728
  • D44 assembly 3.JPG
    D44 assembly 3.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 711
  • D44 assembly 4.JPG
    D44 assembly 4.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 742

:smoke:
I actually can`t remember which brake caliper support went where, I think they slope towards the outside, but I gotta look into it -Anyone know for sure?

Nevermind, they slope in.
BTW here is a great pdf file with exploded views of the D44, and repair processes.
(dead link)

Ya, you've got everything installed correctly.

You do some pretty clean work up there, keep it up :thumbsup:

Did you manage to do the install w/out a case spreader or is it just not pictured? Thats one of the things I had to borrow and it held me up a little bit.

None of the instructions I had mentioned needing one, what they did say, and I didn`t mention was to add two thousandth shims to each side before the final presson of the carrier bearings. I actually ended up doing that just before my last backlash measurement, due to the combination of shims I had to use. It made for a very tight fit at that point, you need a rubber mallet or it`ll never go in.

None of the instructions I had mentioned needing one, what they did say, and I didn`t mention was to add two thousandth shims to each side before the final presson of the carrier bearings. I actually ended up doing that just before my last backlash measurement, due to the combination of shims I had to use. It made for a very tight fit at that point, you need a rubber mallet or it`ll never go in.

The reason you had to use the mallet was because of the lack of the case spreader. It allows you to take the carrier in and out without the need of a mallet or a pry bar. Glad to know it can be done with out it, I would have thought most instructions would mention it. I think all Dana axles recommend it, thats what those 2 indentations on either side of the differential are for.

Keep up the great project :thumbsup:

yeah that pdf that won`t link properly that I posted shows the use of a case spreader. Definitely would have made the process quicker.

I tell you people, there is not much that compares to the satisfaction of doing the final assembly of the D44. I have been having a great time.

Experiencing how hard it was to separate the caliper bracket, spindle and rotor/hub I never-siezed all the metal to metal contact during assembly.

There was acouple pain in the ass moments such as:
I started putting one side together and noticed my hub housing or rotors didn`t come with wheel studs. So I go buy some and assemble that side with the new studs. Then I open the other hub housing box and it had 5 wheel studs in a bag in there, darnit, so I have to clear that up with the parts store.

Then my brake pad set only came with one anti-rattle clip, so I have two complaints to make down there..

Other than that, man this is fun, I`m sooo close now.

Attachments

• D44 assembly 5.JPG
    D44 assembly 5.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 674

When do you want to start on mine? :)

Its so shiny that you dont want to get it dirty/rusty :D

(dead link)

Everything looks very good and clean. I have a question about your coil buckets. What size box steel did you use to space out the the coil buckets from the frame. I like your coil buckets and plan to make a similer design.

Back