LD50 Full-size axle thread `93 Ex | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LD50 Full-size axle thread `93 Ex

LD50 Full-size axle thread `93 Ex SAS

Hey fellow Explorer enthusiasts!

Well I never thought I`d do it, but it`s time.
I originally thought I would go to a smaller rig one day but I`m going to beef up the Explorer instead. Since I already have a huge thread on my previous work I decided to start fresh.

If you would like to see my previous mods, you can navigate from my signature link, or click here:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=523171#post523171

~

My plans are to install a D44 and 9-inch into the station wagon and run 35 inch tires. Hopefully she`ll still get in the garage, but if it don`t then oh well. During this I also have some body work to do.

Right now I have the rear end out, I took off the spare tire hanger and removed the muffler and rear most heat shield. (doors are off for body work)Next the gas tank comes out so I can prep the underside for rust protection, from the t-case back. In the meantime I am trying to sell some parts for cash.

First big decision is what gear ratio. The 4.10`s on 33s was nice, but I think I`d like a bit more torque than that so I`m thinking 4.88 or 5.13s.

Attachments

• prep.JPG
    prep.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 10,442

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, it's YOU I don't like! :p: I keed, I keed.

I'm sure it is just fine, but I've had mine in situations where the rear axle was at full droop and had to be on the gas. I hope that even though this is probably going to be one of the nicest/cleanest SAS/restore with body work and paint explorer on here, I still expect it to get beat on pretty good. :)

I guess I'd like a little bit of a "buffer" that's all. :dunno:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

You mean you expect me to wheel it now?
lol.
Well I thought alot about it, I guess all I can do is gently flex it out and see if it might become an issue, then I could always re-adjust..

With a 9" in a wheeler, you're better off running a CV type driveshaft and pointing the pinion straight at the transfercase output. This keeps the super low 9" pinion up out of harms way on the trails, and does wonders to keep your driveshaft off of rocks. Another benefit is with the steeper pinion angle you can shave quite a bit off the bottom of the housing.

But, if you want to do it the right way then by all means dont let us stop you. :D :p:

Well you guys sure got me considering re-working the whole axle. *******s
Yesterday I was doing some calculations; if my axle could droop enough to bind, it would actually bind at both ends at about the same time since the angles are so close. I don`t see it drooping that far, but that uneasy feeling is still there. The uneasiness wouldn`t be too hard to get rid of..
The biggest issue in leaving it this way is probably clearance like you say James t. I been thinking a skid plate on the 9 to protect the u-joint might be a minimal essential for this setup.

Anyway, more fabrication. I wanted more distance between my rear shock mounts at rest. I used to have 21 inches, now I have 24, so it opens up more shock choices for me.
I just made a swept back bracket out of 1/4 inch plate off the old warrior skid plate shock mount which are now upside down atop my springs. I was going to gusset with some flat bar, but I don`t have any left, so I scabbed in some heavy stuff, lol, I don`t think it`ll bend anyway.
Still have to mount them with the u-bolts, but here they are.

Attachments

• rear lower shock mounts 1.JPG
    rear lower shock mounts 1.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 688
  • rear lower shock mounts 2.JPG
    rear lower shock mounts 2.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 682
  • rear lower shock mounts 3.JPG
    rear lower shock mounts 3.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 681

I hate to bring the obvious, but whats wrong with putting the shocks on the tube?

Anyway, more fabrication. I wanted more distance between my rear shock mounts at rest. I used to have 21 inches, now I have 24, so it opens up more shock choices for me.

thats why

that dosent make any sense. You could of done the same thing on the tube, thats what im getting at.

Also how does having more room at rest give you more choices?

Well I figure the shims are coming back out, so there ya go, ill keep them and if I get a different driveshaft made later, they will help then. Colindo, let me know if you ruin U-joints and Ill let you know if it vibrates like a *******! :)

Why I built my rear shock mounts where they are:
-personal preference
-less welding to axle tubes
-less headache if breakage occurs
-If axle ever becomes damaged, it is easier to replace.

Why a longer static mount length opens more options:

Lets say I want 15 inches compressed shock length at rear, past where where my bumpstops will arrest movement, and I look through shock spec guides and find that if I want that, my extended length suffers, and I end up with only 4 inches droop. My OME`s really flex and droop, Ideally Id like to see another inch travel on either side of the compression and extension. My 21 inch static length made everything really close and iffy on wether my shocks might limit travel. I'd rather err on the side of caution when it comes to this. Starting from a 24 inch static length, I can now easily fit shocks with more travel.

eh, dosent make sense to me but whatever floats your boat.

Don't understand the mounts, or shock length and travel?
It doesn't really matter where they are mounted, as long as you are fastening your axle to your frame with them, soo

If it's shocks then here is an example: look at the Rancho application guide for the RS9000X series shocks. You have a static mounting distance of 21 inches and you want 5.5-6 inches compression and 5.5-6 inches extension from that point. This equates to a needed compressed length of 15-15.5 inches and an extended length of 26.5-27 inches Pick the shock you would use.

http://www.gorancho.com/flash/docs/2005_specifications.pdf

After you find that the right shock doesn't seem to exist in that guide, look again with a 24 inch static shock length. Now you want a compressed length of 18-18.5 inches and an extended length of 29.5-30 inches. Now there are several options.

It also seems to work out this way in other shock application guides I've been perusing...

I likw the design. I'm dealing with the same problem with the pinion angle and mounting my shocks. I want to find the ideal pinion angle, but in order to mount the shocks correctly the pinion angle must be set if your welding to the tubes. Or it will binde. With this design he will be able to shange his pinion angle as much as he wants without screwing up his shock mount angle. I hope this makes sense. And i will be throwing in some shims to make my pinion angle a little higher. The angle on the u joint is a bit extream in my opinion.

whoa

With this design he will be able to shange his pinion angle as much as he wants without screwing up his shock mount angle.
Just playing the devils advocate: how many times do you change your pinion angle? :D Hehehe.

Interesting concept you have there ld50 :thumbsup:

no, I get the measurments and everything, I went throught he same ting doing my front shock towers but you can also do the same thing moving the shocks closer together or farther apart on the axle, ect. It just seems like alot of work to get those mounts in there. To each his own I guess.

Just playing the devils advocate: how many times do you change your pinion angle? Hehehe.

Well during the week I like to have a -2* pinion angle, them on weekends I like it to be +1*, and sometimes when I`m feeling daring I prefer a 5* positive..

HAHA.

I don`t want to change my angle at all, I want the right one right now! With the shims back out it`ll be 3* positive, or "up". Wrong angle in theory, but with the angles I`m caught up a bit.
Colindo has a point, if I made an axle shock mount and then down the road went with a double cardon setup for the rear, it may cause problems.
But anyway, you know what? My shock mounts are done, I don`t have to ever worry about them again, I don`t have to try and figure out the placement on my axle, I didn`t have to carefully weld anything to my axle to avoid warping and/or weakening. I just fabbed up those mounts lickety-split and it`s done. There is nothing easier than that as far as I can see.

The rusher sees many options, the planner sees few.

Well during the week I like to have a -2* pinion angle, them on weekends I like it to be +1*, and sometimes when I`m feeling daring I prefer a 5* positive..
Ahah -- well when a hot chick walks in front of my vehicle, the pinion angle shoots waaay up.

Ahh, sexual comparisons; The wrong pinion angle can damage your shaft, you`ll want to keep it up, and centered.

Attachments

• pinion angle 3 up.JPG
    pinion angle 3 up.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 609

Still worry about wear and vibration but I guess I`ll see.
Snoboarder, some kind of axle mount may have been a cleaner build here, I`ll give ya that, but I don`t mind these. Once the shock is there it won`t be so obtrusive.

Attachments

• shock mounts rear.JPG
    shock mounts rear.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 848

Back