• Register Today It's free!

Leaf Shackles?

J. Kennedy

Reaction score
City, State
Acton, Mass
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
I want to do the torsion twist/shackle lift to the baby. I have seen references here that the "J**p shackles" will fit. Anyone know which jeep (XJ, YJ, etc,) front or rear etc. Thanks in advance! JK

------------------
J. Kennedy
1995 XLT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are YJ lift shackles designed to lift a YJ about 1.25" They are shorter than the Warrior shackles and will only give about 1/2" to 3/4" lift on an Explorer. They work great for correcting the "Explorer sag" if you have a sagging rear end. They are not high enough to match a torsion twist lift.

------------------
Gerald
"Nerves of Steel; Brain of Chipmunk"
'99 Eddie Bauer 4x4 4.0L SOHC aka "The Jeepeater"
Dead Link Removed
"What the heck is he doing out here in that thing???"

Add-a-leafs typically go between the bottom spring and the overload spring (between the last two spring) It won't act like a lowering block since it is not going between the top spring and axle. Theses add-a-leafs have a higher spring rate (more curve) thereby lifting the rear. The ride will get stiffer. I kind of like my ride. I have a rancho 1.5" kit on the back and its fine.

Tyson is right on about how it lifts the rear (different spring arch and rate). One side effect of the add-a-leaf is that it can make the rear or your explorer very stiff. If you like the spring rate you have now I would recomend the Warrior Product shackles (they are supposed to be in their catalog now). Your stock shackles are 5.5" and the Warrior product shackles are 8.5" which comes out to 1.5" of lift. We have close to 30k miles on our warrior product shackles and have no complaints.

Just so you know.. if you were to install your add-a-leaf on the bottom (under the overload) you would actually lower your explorer by the height of that spring (since the add-a-leaf cannot arch the overload up like it can the other springs)..

------------------
Mark
mark@legendz.com
http://mark.legendz.com
Off-Road and Motorcycle Information, Pictures and Movies
Click Dead Link Removed to see our Explorer Specs

Arrrghh! Warrior's site only lists shckles for 95 & up!!! Will these fit a 4dr?

------------------
J. Kennedy
1995 XLT

Yes.

will they fit a pre 95?

------------------
Tom
'94 XLT 4-door 4x4

Yes, yes, yes, yes; and yes. 2wd, 4wd, 2dr, 4dr, pre '95, post '95, or '95; any axle, any wheel size, any color, Any Explorer. They fit.

Measure the length of your shackles from center to center of the bolt holes. Most (but not all) Explorers have 5.5" stock shackle lengths. My '99 EB 4x4 had 6", and we have discovered in at least one application a 4.5" shackle length on a Sport model. The Warriors are 8.5" long. Divide the difference between the Warriors and your stock length by 2 and you will have the lift you will attain by installing them.

For those who don't know the entire history, the existence of the Warrior shackles can truly be attributed to the power of the voice of this very website. This time last year there was nothing at all available for our Explorers. After contacting multitudinous (is that a word?) companies to help us, Warrior was the one that responded and offered to manufacture a shackle designed expressly for Explorers. No one else would. They deserve your business if you are looking for a rear lift that won't stiffen your ride.

Hope this helps in making your decision.

------------------
Gerald
"Nerves of Steel; Brain of Chipmunk"
'99 Eddie Bauer 4x4 4.0L SOHC aka "The Jeepeater"
Dead Link Removed
"What the heck is he doing out here in that thing???"

i have a 91 4x4 . if i buy the shackles what springs do i have to get for the front. and do they sell just the front springs? would i have to get a longer shock ?

------------------
1991 Eddie Bauer 4x4
K&N drop in filter, Modified air box.
3" lift 31x10.50's
Dunlop R/V's.
Sway bar quick disconects disc.http://www.freeyellow.com/members8/91fordexplorer/index.html

A91EBexplorer4x4,
If your EB has 6" stock shackles, then the Warrior shackles will give you 1.25" of lift.
You could probably use coil spacers to pick up the front 1.25"

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC
Dead Link Removed

I looked around the archives. I now realize J**p shackles are not going to cut it. I've used the "one size fits all set" before and they are horrible to the point of being deadly. Where can I get "Add a Leaf" springs cheap? How do they make the vehicle higher if they are BELOW the axle? Won't they act like lowering blocks? How is the ride?

------------------
J. Kennedy
1995 XLT

Back