Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL '20 ST
Callsign
AB7FH
Does anyone know if the late model 4 door Explorers use the same size leaf springs as the early Explorers?? If they do I think I may be on the list to get a set of Old Man Emu 2" lift springs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I thought I read somewhere that the newer explorers use 1 leaf spring in the back. Not sure though.

The Explorer Sports (2 door) use a single 3 inch wide leaf. From what I understand, all Explorer rear ends (1990-2000) are all the same, some have different shackle lengths. My shackles are 5.5 inches long, but my father's shackles on his EB are 6.5 inches long and the leaf's are 2.5 inches wide. If you ask me, I think the OME leaf's would work for a 1990-1994 Explorer, and if it doesn't work, I don't think that you would have any trouble getting them off your hands either.

[Edited by NoBoundaries on 07-04-2000 at 03:55 PM]

My '99 has four leafs in the pack. They are 2.5", but they widen out at the ends and the shackle connection is still 3" just like the single Sport leafs. I'll bet the OME's work for anyone.

If no one definitively answers this by tomorrow I'll call my (now-way-too-familiar) Ford Parts Mgr in Dallas and get the scoop for you, Rick. I'll be very surprized if the OME's can't work for you.

[Edited by GJarrett on 07-04-2000 at 05:59 PM]

Hey Gerald, are you saying that your leaf's are 2.5 and then widen out to 3 inches at the shackle?

OK, let me clarify. This keeps coming up every few months or so; maybe I can get more specific.

4dr leafs are 2.5" wide. However, at the back where the leaf ends in the eyelet to put the shackle bolt through, there are bushings installed within the leafs that space it out to 3". It takes a 3" shackle to connect to the 4dr leaf, just as it does to the 2dr leaf that was 3" the whole length of the spring.

When I told Rick I think it would all work I meant that I knew the width was correct; the only question is to verify that the lengths are the same too. The weights are similar within all 4dr models so all Rick needs concern himself with is the length of the spring working action.

There is the side issue that some 4drs use 5.5" shackles while others (evidently only the EBs and/or Limiteds which include mine which have 6.5" shackles) but at any rate the EMU springs should lift higher than either so Rick could gain an advantage in lift with them.

Gerald

[Edited by GJarrett on 07-04-2000 at 07:38 PM]

Having just replaced my 3" wide monoleafs on my 99 Sport with the OME 2" lift springs, I can say with some assurance that the spring length on the 2-door and 4-door Explorers is the same. The eyes and bushings are the same as well.

What I cannot say is if Ford redesigned the rear springs when they did the makeover in 1995. Recall that they replaced the TTB with the IFS front end. I think that this is what Rick is asking.

My opinion is that the rear wasn't changed, but you might want to check with ARB. From what I recall on looking under other 91-94's, the front spring perch looks the same, but there are some variables that could still exist.

Gerald, actually, the 3" leaves narrow down a bit at the ends, but you're right about the bushings being made to fit the 3" inner width of the shackles. The spring appears to narrow to 2.5", enough so that the spring itself doesn't contact the shackle in back or the perch in front.

Rick, from you other thread on the axle conversion, Trckmagik stated:

"Dont quote me on this but I do believe that the leaf springs on the early and late model explorers are the same. When my Explorer was dropped (before lifting it) I got dropped leafs that were good for 91-00. So I would assume that they are the same."

That would serve as evidence that the OME springs would fit your pre-95 rig. :) I'm assuming that you're looking for a little more lift. You would also like the way the overload springs appear to be designed to allow a good deal of compression and articulation (they are curved backwards slightly to allow the leaf to bend back a bit). They also have a "military wrap" setup which provides a secondary main leaf that runs the full length of the regular main leaf. I would think that this would support the vehicle, though it won't locate the axle if the main leaf were to crack ahead of the axle. They also have the "U" clamps built onto the springs to prevent leaf-twisting.

Do I sound like an OME salesman yet? :)

Yep

Confirmed.... Ford parts mgr says so (in a roundabout way).

Interesting... he is not allowed to look up leaf springs as separate part numbers. Something about they are considered part of the complete rear suspension and Ford won't offer them singly for safety/liability concerns or something like that (in other words they want you to have their service dept get the labor income). Makes you wonder how it is we can buy torsion bars separately.

However, he said he could look them up through the spring code on the door, and the spring codes don't change between years. Since you will have "F" leaf springs unless you have the autoride air suspension, that means OME springs will work. An "F" leaf spring is an "F" leaf spring whether you've got a '91 or a '00.

Hope that helped.

Back