Leaf spring question | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Leaf spring question

Since we know the part #'s (ome-36 and cs042r) we can find it that way...

http://store.arbusa.com/Old-Man-Emu-Leaf-Spring-CS042R-P20999.aspx

My google-fu is good tonight.. Page 26 in the May 2013 catalog. Specs for the spring are on page 123

http://www.arbusa.com/Uploads/PDF/onlineManualsGuides/OME_Guide_current.pdf

~Mark

Those are awesome looking springs. Pretty expensive though. I'm thinking more like an F 150 spring, I could get some from a junkyard locally, just not sure how they would fit. Is it possible to just put them on with out any changes to the axle?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those are awesome looking springs. Pretty expensive though. I'm thinking more like an F 150 spring, I could get some from a junkyard locally, just not sure how they would fit. Is it possible to just put them on with out any changes to the axle?

When you use the f-150 springs you don't use the entire pack.. You use the explorer main leaf and then use f-150 leaves with it to get some lift and to change the spring rate.. You could even intertwine them for a more custom pack.

The OME springs are worth the money.. There are over 200k miles on the springs I have, which started out on [MENTION=71]Rick[/MENTION]s rig (pumpkin before it was the pumpkin). Springs normally don't like going inverted, but mine have been inverted many many many times without them breaking.

6664844695_88ab18bbd3_z.jpg

truckhaven-rti-2011-1 by maniak_az, on Flickr

You can see the darker leaves in that pack, Those are f-150 leaves I intertwined to get some extra lift and increase the spring rate since I have so many miles on them (that pic is more than a year old now).

BTW.. Here is the Good/Big instruction thread about using the f-150 leaves to get lift.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101035

~Mark

you could also do an add a leaf.....in the past I have done a double
add a leaf.....and it lifted the truck almost 4in.....stiff, but lifted high.

just an option.

when I did the short leaf....I barely noticed the stiffness, and lifted me
1.5in

then I did the long leaf and lifted me just over 2in...and that's when I felt
the stiffness.....but I like it haha

:salute:

When you use the f-150 springs you don't use the entire pack.. You use the explorer main leaf and then use f-150 leaves with it to get some lift and to change the spring rate.. You could even intertwine them for a more custom pack.

The OME springs are worth the money.. There are over 200k miles on the springs I have, which started out on [MENTION=71]Rick[/MENTION]s rig (pumpkin before it was the pumpkin). Springs normally don't like going inverted, but mine have been inverted many many many times without them breaking.

6664844695_88ab18bbd3_z.jpg

truckhaven-rti-2011-1 by maniak_az, on Flickr

You can see the darker leaves in that pack, Those are f-150 leaves I intertwined to get some extra lift and increase the spring rate since I have so many miles on them (that pic is more than a year old now).

BTW.. Here is the Good/Big instruction thread about using the f-150 leaves to get lift.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101035

~Mark

I guess I'm not quite sure why you wouldn't use just the whole F 150 pack with 5 leaves, considering it's the same length and width.

just an option.

1.5in

I would like to do the add a leaf because of the cost but my driver side is becoming inverted so I kind of just want the whole pack or maybe have them re bent.

just an option.

1.5in

Are you talking about something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/180833450176?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
for the long add a leaf?

I guess I'm not quite sure why you wouldn't use just the whole F 150 pack with 5 leaves, considering it's the same length and width.

As I look at it, you will have a much higher spring rate and if you wanted the springs so stiff that it rode like a 3/4 truck you might as well get a 3/4 ton truck. (yes, I know its a 1/2 ton truck spring, but its SUA AND on a 1/4 ton truck)

The trick as I see it is finding the spring rate that works for you.. Comparing OME springs to a full f-150 pack is comparing springs with 2 different goals. One (OME) is for flex and ride while the f-150 is for weight carrying capacity, not flex or ride.

~Mark

Maniak,
You make valid points, and you have helped me with other things in the past and I appreciate that but if I could afford a 3/4 ton truck I could definatley afford the OME springs, but I can't. I'm simply trying to look for the most economical way to replace my springs and get a little lift while I'm at it.

I'm thinking probably the cheapest way to go about it is to have my springs re arched and then put a long add-a-leaf on. I'm not concerned about stiffness really. I guess I'm just trying to weigh out my options here. Junkyard route or add-a-leaf.

Back