Leaf Spring Rear Eye Bushing - Too Small | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Leaf Spring Rear Eye Bushing - Too Small

clevalley

Reaction score
City, State
Warrenton, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLS
2000 Explorer 4-door -

Bought Energy Suspension 4.2124 kit and have a problem with the front eye bushing being too small.

I removed the outer sleeve of original bushing as it was severely corroded... the Energy Suspension directions do say to remove both OEM outer sleeves for front and rear eye. If I left the outer sleeve in the bushings were still a bit loose, but they were corroded so bad they would have chewed the new bushings up real quick.

The inner diameter of the front leaf spring eye is ~ 45mm - the OD of the rear eye bushing is ~40mm.

I called Energy Suspension and they were of no help has the kit is for a 91-94 and I have a 2000; they do not make the kit for a 2000 and will not support it. I tried to ask them if they could look up bushing sizes based off of my measurements but they said I had to speak with a re-seller as they do not sell directly to the public - nice customer service. :thumbdwn:

I need to make new sleeves to fill the gap and looking for some advice.

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Blacksheep Josh

Slinky+Escalator=Fun
Reaction score
City, State
Statesboro, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Ford Ranger, RIP 93 X
It's really not their fault. You bought a kit for an entirely different generation vehicle and they're not a retail store. I have to defend them in this case. Your best bet is to call up Summit Racing and speak to a rep through them. Or just go factory.

clevalley

Reaction score
City, State
Warrenton, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLS
Yeah you are right - but the guy was snotty on the phone... I did explain the kit was for a different year and was looking for him to search to see if they manufactured something to fit based off of ID of the rear eye - this is where I have the issue of their customer service. Maybe he was having a bad day.

Either way, I need to figure out a way to sleeve to fill the gap or go OEM and press it in - but wanted to at least attempt to use what I have and am open to outer sleeve ideas.

Thanks!

clevalley

Reaction score
City, State
Warrenton, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLS
I think I may have found a fix; American Sleeve Bearing sells a steel bushing with a OD 45mm, ID 40mm, length of 70mm (will have to trim the length down) - the sleeve is coated internally with a PTFE liner and should be nice and smooth for the poly bushing, and fills the gap.

REWINDER

Reaction score
City, State
S.E. Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 EXPLORER SPORT
Energy suspension part # P 3.2125 1.75 barrel dia. For a 9/16" bolt dia. Made for a Chevy truck. Leave the old bushing sleeve in the spring eye. $20 on Amazon. Randy