Leaf Spring Replacement - Deaver or National? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Leaf Spring Replacement - Deaver or National?

Scott B.

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT
The time has come to replace my National leaf springs.

I had these built about 15 years ago - inverted spring shackle (3" longer spring), no factory block, 4" lift. They flex really, really well, but have not held their height.

Today, I am running the factory block, and if the truck has a load in the back, the back sits lower than the front.

Time to replace.

My experience with National is so-so. They built a good product, though it was not quite to my specs. When I talked to them about it, their customer service absolutely sucked. Actually, the only reason I am considering them is because my experience was so long ago, perhaps the situation at their shop has changed.

Does anyone have any current experience with National Spring?

What have people's experience been with Deaver, both product and customer service?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have 4 deaver superflex coils that i run and their pretty wicked.. for being a 5.5" diamter spring with 3/4" coil wire, they flex like crazy.. on my old d30 sas i ran some deaver superflex springs for a bronco in the rear. i think they were 8 leaf packs, they flexed an incredible amount.. just make sure you have the shock to accomodate them.

..Heck Scott...Come on down and I'll drive you over to Deaver's shop..I've been thinking about talking to them about a custom leaf pack for my X..:D

..Small shop near me and they are great people to deal with in person...They can build you anything you want..They are good on the phone to but I like the personal experience with them best..

..I'm sure there are good and bad stories with both companies but Deaver has been around for a long time and continue to produce a product they are proud of and custom packs is nothing new to them at all..

..Plus they will make up any size and length custom u-bolts while you wait, as long as they are not swamped..;)

What kind of stuff are you gonna be asking them to do Tbars? I'm want to get a new set of leafs eventually too, And their G50E pack is a little more then I can see myself needing lift wise, but I don't wanna roll the dice with a rebuilt or LMC truck replacement pack.

I had National build me a set of springs a few years back and they built them to run with the shackles flipped so I went for it. Initially they worked and rode fine but like you Scott, they sagged over time.

I decided to ditch these leafs, sold them for a little less than half of what I payed for them on DezertRangers:rolleyes: but it was enough to pay for a new set leafs I got which are for a Tacoma with a 5" lift. Got them from All Pro Off Road but they are made by Bettes spring here in the USA. Only have a few runs on these set of leafs but totally happy with them so far.

As for National Spring, customer service wasn't an issue with me but I was disappointed with the spring sag issue. Alcan is another company I've heard good things about for springs.

What kind of stuff are you gonna be asking them to do Tbars? I'm want to get a new set of leafs eventually too, And their G50E pack is a little more then I can see myself needing lift wise, but I don't wanna roll the dice with a rebuilt or LMC truck replacement pack.

..I need to decide on what all I'm going to pack n the X then talk to Deaver..

..Mounty71 just posted up that he ordered some new Deavers and talks about the G packs..He might have some insight on an X..Post 297..;)
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207070&page=15

but it was enough to pay for a new set leafs I got which are for a Tacoma with a 5" lift. Got them from All Pro Off Road but they are made by Bettes spring here in the USA. Only have a few runs on these set of leafs but totally happy with them so far.

As for National Spring, customer service wasn't an issue with me but I was disappointed with the spring sag issue. Alcan is another company I've heard good things about for springs.

..These leafs, are they a straight swap for the Rangers and how do they compare in price?

..These leafs, are they a straight swap for the Rangers and how do they compare in price?

I think I paid $330 or so a set, you can check their website for current pricing. They are not a direct swap but it doesn't take much to get them to work.

Tacoma springs are narrower so I made 1/8" spacers for the front hangers and had rear shackles made by DIY4x4. You also have to drill a new center pin hole in the perch and your spring plate forward of the stock hole to keep the axle in stock location.

Also, I would use the 3" lift springs if you are using stock hangers and shackles. I have raised shackle hangers so I can use longer shackles without the added lift.

Back