Leaf Spring SAS question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Leaf Spring SAS question

I have noticed everyone that has done a SAS using leafs places the swing shackle in the front of the vehicle. But after watching Extreme 4x4 on Spike they talked about why it is better to mount the swing shackle in the rear. Does anyone have experience as to which way is better?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Having the shackle in the rear gives a much better ride. But it is easier to put it up front because of the way the frame is. If I were you I wouldnt even bother with a leaf setup, I would run a coil and radius arm style suspension. Its about the same price and difficulty as a leaf SAS.

Well the deal is that I got an axle out of an 89 grand wagoneer. So it does not have the setup for radius arms. I could buy the wedges and weld them on, but it seems like leafs would be easy and offer enough flex for what I want. Basically I am tired of replacing ball joints and upper control arms since I have 35's. I also go through tires like crazy, that is my main reason for wanting to do the SAS. But the axle is in the garage and waiting to start working on it in a couple days. And I feel that leafs have been around forever so they cannot be that bad.. Plus with the correct install it is darn near bullet proof..

Well the deal is that I got an axle out of an 89 grand wagoneer. So it does not have the setup for radius arms. I could buy the wedges and weld them on, but it seems like leafs would be easy and offer enough flex for what I want. Basically I am tired of replacing ball joints and upper control arms since I have 35's. I also go through tires like crazy, that is my main reason for wanting to do the SAS. But the axle is in the garage and waiting to start working on it in a couple days. And I feel that leafs have been around forever so they cannot be that bad.. Plus with the correct install it is darn near bullet proof..

Its not the leafs arent good, its that there are alot of problems that come with them. Axle wrap and sagging and twisted leafs seem very common on the front of most of the trucks on here. Not to mention is hard to keep a truck low with leafs upfront. It can be done but its harder. If your only running 35's thats something you need to think about.

I would recommend taking a good look around this section see how many guys have gone with leafs then either switched or wished they had gone with coils. wedges are easy to weld on, and a set of fullsize radius arms would work well.

I agree with almost everything that redranger said. Only part I disagree with is that with leafs you can get the truck lower. Atleast with the TTB trucks it works that way. Maybe not with the SLA ones. Do coils.

If you link it I would not weld on wedges and use ford radius arms. With the way the diff is they would have to be so far out that the tires would hit them when you turn.

I would do a 3 link but I might be biased.

Go sell the waggy axle to a jeeper. I've got a d44 out of an f150. There's good and bad news with it. The bad is, it'll be 8 lug off a 3/4ton. Good news is gigantic dual piston front brakes which is good for a heavier vehicle. I've got the radius arms too. Might have the original steering as well. PM me if interested. Oh it's in Danville,IL now and in about a month it'll be in Chicago

Go sell the waggy axle to a jeeper. I've got a d44 out of an f150. There's good and bad news with it. The bad is, it'll be 8 lug off a 3/4ton. Good news is gigantic dual piston front brakes which is good for a heavier vehicle. I've got the radius arms too. Might have the original steering as well. PM me if interested. Oh it's in Danville,IL now and in about a month it'll be in Chicago

A f150 wont have 8 lug. Its a 1/2 ton axle it will have 5x5.5 lug pattern.

I agree with almost everything that redranger said. Only part I disagree with is that with leafs you can get the truck lower. Atleast with the TTB trucks it works that way. Maybe not with the SLA ones. Do coils.

If you link it I would not weld on wedges and use ford radius arms. With the way the diff is they would have to be so far out that the tires would hit them when you turn.

I would do a 3 link but I might be biased.

Yea Im thinking of SLA trucks, as right at the beginning of the cab theres a kick down.

A f150 wont have 8 lug. Its a 1/2 ton axle it will have 5x5.5 lug pattern.

Indeed this is normally true. I have a 78-79 f150 and f250 axle. I'm using the 5 lug outers on the 3/4 ton axle to match my scout 44 rear end. So, I'm tossing the 3/4 ton brakes and rotors back on the f150. So, it'll be a f150 axle with 8 lug outers and 2 piston brakes. In reality, I'm sure a bronco guy will snatch it up as it'd be easy to toss in and match a 60 or 14 bolt rear. The brakes should be a nice feature for the heavier trucks.

I am doing a leaf setup. My main reason for a SAS is to get rid of the junk IFS setup. I have to replace upper control arms every other month and I destroy a set of tires within 12 months. So I will keep my body lift and do a SUA, SAS and keep the waggy axle basically stock except for gears and other goodies I stuff into it. My lift will come by lifted springs and shackles but they will be minimal.

My leaf setup works great. Stock waggy 7 leaf pack with a rusty's offroad long add-a-leaf. Works great as a DD/wheeler. Still has lots of flex but not scary going 70 down the highway. I went shackle in front because it was advised by all the CJ jeep guys I run with. Live 5 minutes from the dunes and they said they don't get as much axle hop out there with the shackle forward...don't know why, just took their word for it.

When I had leafs I used stock wrangler springs with a ranger main cut to fit under the wrangler main and I had about 5" of lift spung over. I think to match the lift you already have you will need a 6" leaf spring if sprung under.

This is my current dilemma, should I leave it spring under and use a lifted springs to get my lift, or use stock springs convert it to SOA and be done with it.

links and coils :D If you go spring over you will need to get new knuckles and have the passenger side one millled drilled and tapped for a hi steer arm. Then you will need a high steer arm that is tall enough to clear the springs. A highly arched leaf spring will not flex as well and a flatter one that is sprung over.

Definately put your shackles in the rear, Like they are supposed to be....

Attachments

• DSC00314.JPG
    DSC00314.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 2,397
  • Front leaf mount_WEB.jpg
    Front leaf mount_WEB.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 1,289
  • Rear shot of rear leaf mount_WEB.jpg
    Rear shot of rear leaf mount_WEB.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 979
  • DSC00315.JPG
    DSC00315.JPG