• Register Today It's free!

Leaf Springs noisy

sbmark

Reaction score
City, State
Seal Beach CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT V8
I have searched about everywhere I can think of, and can't find a source for leaf spring "bushings" or "insulators" for my 1996 5.0 2wd, w/151,000 miles on it. My mechanic says the creaking noise I am complaining about is from the leaf springs. He was able to eliminate one of the creaks by wedging a slice of radiator hose between leafs, but that seems a bit cheesy. Does anyone have a solution to this noisy problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That could certainly help. I just had to get a new bushing from Ford and it was around $13. It's not that hard of a DIY job if you have the right tools.

My problem though was that the bushing had frozen to the bolt and shackle and I was trying to replace my shackles.

You might want to check your body mounts as well. There was a thread on here recently about body mounts that had gone bad. He had more of a banging noise as his body was actually bouncing off the frame.

If you have the right tools, the Gen 2 Explorer is a pretty easy truck to work on. Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking that at over 150k, a lot of the suspension bushings will need replacement. I had a clank coming from the rear end of the truck that ended up being stabilizer links and bars that are mounted in-line with the frame rails. They were replaced, and the handling was improved big time. The rubber got old in the bushings, as I suspect with pretty much all the hardware at this point. Maybe part of the creaking that still comes out of the back of the vehicle is from the spring end bushings. Many here also seem to think that at 150k it's time to replace the rear leaf springs too.

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking that at over 150k, a lot of the suspension bushings will need replacement. I had a clank coming from the rear end of the truck that ended up being stabilizer links and bars that are mounted in-line with the frame rails. They were replaced, and the handling was improved big time. The rubber got old in the bushings, as I suspect with pretty much all the hardware at this point. Maybe part of the creaking that still comes out of the back of the vehicle is from the spring end bushings. Many here also seem to think that at 150k it's time to replace the rear leaf springs too.

Where did you get the replacements? I asked Energy suspension, and they don't list a direct match, said I'd have to use universals.

Thanks!

As I don't know the right names for the parts, I can describe them as they are fitted in the truck. The parts that were replaced are two short links that mount vertically near the rear axle. No label on them. The bars that are mounted alongside the frame rails had Ford labels on them. What I need are the parts that are mounted (sandwiched) between the leafs of the leaf springs.

No one seems to have these parts!

Back