• Register Today It's free!

Leaf Springs

Captain AirTime

Reaction score
City, State
Campbell River BC Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
I'm looking for about 4" of lift, maybe a little more. I was planning to just do a SOA, and might still do it as a temporary measure (to even out my front 4" cut/turn TTB). The main problem, is that the stock springs offer very little travel. from mid bumpstop to the axle tube (hanging, with wheels/tires and high pressure gas shocks installed) there is a maximum 8" of axle travel. the shocks are capable of 10" travel plus some, and thats with stock mounts. I was hoping the springs would be capable of at least 10", so it looks like I'll be in the market for some new springs. To get the travel, a high arch pack is best, so I'll leave it spring under. With 4" or more ride height increase, I don't mind extending the bump stops a little to allow longer shocks, since I'll need the tire clearance anyway, But I'd still like to get at least 12", hopefully closer to 16" axle travel to match the front. Does anyone here have good leaf packs like that, if so, who made them? I've been dissappointed with custom leaf springs before, and would rather use something tried and true.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Superlift makes a 4" leaft spring pack for yours. It's actually for all Explroers up to 2001. I can get the part # for you if you want it. I have the springs on my Explorer.

-Drew

ExplorerDMB00 said:
Superlift makes a 4" leaft spring pack for yours. It's actually for all Explroers up to 2001. I can get the part # for you if you want it. I have the springs on my Explorer.

-Drew

any idea how much they travel? (distance from tube to bump stop when lifted by rear bumper or frame, assuming shocks are long enough)

Thanx
Erik

Not exactly sure on the numbers. Sorry!

-Drew

I've got an unmodified 91 eddie (if that makes a difference).
The back end sags a little, so I was thinking of doing a spring over. I came to this site to see if anyone had encountered problems with such an endeavour. This is the closest thread I came across.
Can anyone tell me if there are problems in the forecast if I do this? I'm not a mechanic, I just use logic & luck.

Doc Brown said:
I've got an unmodified 91 eddie (if that makes a difference).
The back end sags a little, so I was thinking of doing a spring over. I came to this site to see if anyone had encountered problems with such an endeavour. This is the closest thread I came across.
Can anyone tell me if there are problems in the forecast if I do this? I'm not a mechanic, I just use logic & luck.

Pinion angle, shock mounts, lots of other stuff....click here and type in "SOA spring over axle step by step"

SOA is not hard, it can be done in a couple of hours but it does give you about 5" of lift. Other problem with going SOA is you're going to have alot more wheel hop and axle wrap which really kills the stock springs. As far as wheel travel with the stock springs, my stock springs are plently flexy, I can drop my 35" tires all the way out of the wheel well. Superlift springs are not the answer to more suspension travel. If you want good springs with alot of travel you're gonna have to pony up the money for a good set of custom springs. What kind of wheeling do you plan on doing? The stock explorer springs will flex more than enough for rock crawling and trail riding.

Doug said:
What kind of wheeling do you plan on doing? The stock explorer springs will flex more than enough for rock crawling and trail riding.

Note the Handle :D

Rock crawling is certainly not anywhere in this trucks future. I don't much care about 'flex' in this application. I know the stockers articulate reasonably well, even with the swaybar still attatched. The spring over questions were a hijacking of my thread (hint: use the "post new thread" button). Its a daily driver that sees considerable time at speed on really rough roads, and the occasional trail ride or dune trip. If I do a spring over, it will be temporary, to even out the ride after I finish with the front, and just until I decide on some new leaf packs.

I know I need good springs, that was the original question. Still no answer as to who has and likes their custom springs. Obviously I could just call up Deaver or National, but I want to see if there is anything else acceptable out there first.

Thanks buckshot... BTW, great site you guys have here. Pretty easy to get lost for hours

Back