Leak between transmission and transfer case | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Leak between transmission and transfer case

NHarris

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Gillette, Wyoming
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Wrangler, 08 Ranger
I have a 2001 Explorer with the 5.0L V8 and AWD. I've noticed it has a leak coming from the area where the transmssion joins onto the T-case. I'm assuming its just the gasket there failed. I thought I'd run it by here and see if anyone says anything else. Its not a major leak yet, but I was quoted by an independed shop, $400-500 for the repair. :eek: Any insight here? I can post a few pictures if needed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get a new gasket, remove the transfer case and replace the gasket. Not a hard job. Check the bolts first to see if they are tight.

Do I need to drop the drive shafts or can I leave those connected?

Unbolt the rear one at the transfer case and lay aside, also unbolt the front one at the transfer case and move out of the way or tie up. Transfer case is heavy you need a floor jack. When unbolted from the trans it will move rearward off the trans output shaft. Don't forget to unplug the shift motor electrical connection.

Well I crawled up underneath the Explorer with my wrench and I didn't find a single loose bolt. Must be the gasket, and at $6.99 for the gasket its no big deal. The labor is the killer part if I decide not to do it.

Back