leak on front drivers side near frame in between battery and power steering fluid | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

leak on front drivers side near frame in between battery and power steering fluid

davejal1991

Reaction score
City, State
Rhode Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Mountaineer
My 2001 mountaineer has just 69K on it and today after it seemed to be hesitating on a short drive after a long highway drive. The rpms remained constant when idling, and when i left where i went for that first trip the check engine light came on. I am not sure what the check engine light came on for because I figure that is for the emissions sensor for the cat converters which may be causing the hesitation? I replaced the fuel filter last year, I always check all the fluids and all the reservoirs. The transmission fluid is fine which makes sense cus it was still shifting normally. there a line about a 1/2" thick right on top of the frame in that spot which is the only line that is wet. When looking at it we noticed it is a type of oil because it doesnt smell like gas or look like coolant. I am taking it to autozone to have the light checked but i am not sure if these symptoms are all connected.

please help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you find out what your CEL came on for let us know what it was and we just may be able to help out.

The CEL turned out to be a misfire in the #8 cylinder. This was my fault since i did not change the spark plugs or wires. so, I changed all the plugs and half the wires (tht side of the motor) and reset the computer and it fixed that problem I will finish replacing the wires but the other side seems more involved and I did not have time. However there is still a leak that i mentioned in the first post which appears to be coolant not that i looked closer at it. It was hard to tell with all the rust and dirt under the frame. It appears to be a slow leak since i havent really noticed a drop in coolant at all. All these lines are original. I am still not sure what the stem in this spot connects to, but since it is the only line in that area that is not dry I'm assuming that is it?

Is this hose on the frame or closer to the driver side wheel well going up? It may be your front diff breather hose.

Yeah it follows the frame and bends up with a cap on it. It is the only line that was wet and it seems like it might have been a slow leak or mayb overflow somehow.

Pull off the cap and blow it out with air. Its a breather hose for front diff they get cloged sometimes. Put the cap back on, or do a mod using a longer hose and a breather and put up on the fire wall. Good write ups about that just search breather hose.

Thank you I will do that. I think it might be from the winter when that actually gets used. I also have some questions about how much longer the brake/transmission and fuel lines will last since the under carriage of my truck is very rusted from being 12 yrs old and sitting alot. Since it has low mileage I do not want to risk a leak which happened once already in the tranmission line. I was able to have that fixed right away but i was wondering if i should try to replace these hoses and connectors which are rusted to prevent this things.

On my truck I will change items like hoses and lines just as a precaution if I think they might need changing. The brake lines can be gotten at an auto parts store in any length. Check which flaring you have some are bubble flare and most of the rest are double flare. I have seen a great section on the forum about changing brake lines, and another on gas lines.

Thank you. Since i plan to replace the brake Lines I assume that I should flush the brake fluid also but I was wondering if I should replace any of the other components directly attached to the calipers?

If your talking about the 3 rubber brake lines ( 2 front 1 rear ) would not hurt. If doing these dont forget new washers x2 per line and maybe change out the banjo bolt also. Before you get to far make sure that you can open your bleeders on the calipers, and if needed maybe replace these also.

Check your year to make sure you only have 3 hoses.

Back