• Register Today It's free!

Leaking around engine block

glo81

Reaction score
City, State
Southern California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT 4.0L
For a few years my SUV has had a small coolant leak from the overflow hose at the bottom end. SUV has never overheated; I've just periodically had to top off with coolant in the reservoir. The other day I noticed a very small puddle at a different area of the garage floor and saw that it was coming from the upper end of the lower radiator hose. I finally decided to bite the bullet and ordered a new radiator (Spectra Premium) and hoses to be installed next week (waiting for all parts to be delivered). Well, of course the timing just so happened that a few days ago, I noticed a very faint smell coming from under the hood. Didn't think anything of it and have been driving my other car around. Yesterday when I ran the SUV in the garage with the hood open, I saw white smoke coming from the engine block area and what looks like oil dripping and wetness on parts around the area (pic attached). Could this at all have anything to do with a radiator being bad? Or is this a whole different problem entirely? The radiator reservoir looks clean and underneath the oil cap I don't see anything that would suggest mixing of oil and coolant.

Other details: new thermostat housing was installed last November, last oil change was just about 3000 miles ago, SUV has 185k miles.

IMG_20181121_100757_1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

PCV valve on rear of valve cover leaking?

PCV valve on rear of valve cover leaking?
Thanks for the reply, sws. I'm going to have my mechanic take a look at that when I have him replace the radiator and hoses next week. Hopefully it's that, as it doesn't look like it would be an expensive repair.

Hope it's a PCV valve oil leak. Looking closer appears closer to the middle of the valve cover. 4.0L SOHC's are notorious for leaking valve cover gaskets, especially at this age. Keep posted and good luck.

It was about time something was bound to need repairing after 16+ years. The hoses are here but the radiator is due for delivery Monday so I'm hoping Tuesday I'll have a new radiator and a fixed oil leak. Will post an update then. Happy Thanksgiving to you, sws.

Keep posted and good luck.
Got the oil leak fixed and the new radiator and hoses put in on Fri. It was a bad valve cover gasket after all. Today was the first full day of driving since the repair and so far so good. No more dripping oil and smoke. And finally after so many years of having a coolant leak from an old radiator, no more tiny puddles on my garage floor. Let's hope this all sticks, as I hope to drive this truck for many more years.

Back