• Register Today It's free!

leaking coolant.

mrpibb

Reaction score
City, State
passaic, new jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 explorer xlt
Today I stopped for fuel and noticed coolant leaking on the ground. I checked for leaking hoses, thinking that when I changed the airfilter in the morining I disturbed some thing. further investigation reaveal coolant coming from the front lefthand side somewhere where I cant see. It seems like its inboard of the head below the intake manifold. There is no water in the oil and I,m not blowing white smoke. could it be a lower intake? is the any comon problems on high milage first gen 4.0 for coolant leaks ( 330k miles). or should I assume the worst and plan on pulling the heads. I didn't overheat as the leak was a slow trickle, I put in about a pint of coolant for a 1/2 hour drive.
Vic

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it leaking from the drivers or passenger side of the engine compartment? If its the passenger side, it may be the heater core. Have you checked the hoses & water pump. You may want to add some dye to your fluid to see where its leaking from. I had an issue where I couldn't tell where my truck was leaking from. I added some common household dye to the radiator and let it run for about 15 minutes. Fifteen minutes later, I found the culprit at the lower radiator hose. Also please refer to the following link on what qualifies as an emergency on this forum. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90274

From where you describe, I'd look for the infamous lower intake coolant leak or a timing cover leak. Unfortunately, the area you describe can be very hard to look for leaks with the a/c compressor in the way - even with a mechanic's mirror; especially so if it's the lower intake.
Try cleaning the front of the motor very well and if you can't spot where it's coming from by looking from the top, it might be time to climb underneath and look up. Don't overlook checking for expansion plugs (freeze plugs) that are leaking, loose hose clamps, leaking water pump (if the seal is bad, you should see a coolant stain at the "weep" hole).
Good luck.

I used a mirror to look around the water pump and seems dry, I can see almost were it is coming from, but like you say the a/c comp and steering pump hampers things a bit. if I look just right and sight past the casting for the coolant temp housing I can see were the lower intake meets the block next to the head there is a puddle. just cant seem to see which way the fluid is running.
Vic

This sounds like a similar issue I had

I'm not sure I have the right answer but you may want to check your freeze plugs. You may be able to get a mirror and a light to see if they have rusted out. I had this problem a couple of years ago and for the life of me I couldn't find it and then one day it broke loose and I over heated bad!! - Nothing like have to redo heads, gaskets and all.

help

i am having same issue water coolant leak close to lower intake gasket its a steady flow of coolant just cant see exactly were from possibly brand new water pump but a bad seal maby .... need help new to this vehicle but DIE HARD ford man

Back