Leaking fitting on motor - please help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

  • Register Today It's free!

Leaking fitting on motor - please help!


New Member
December 16, 2011
Reaction score
City, State
Chaska, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer 5.0 4WD
Hey all -

I have been having a few issues with my 97 5.0 Ex lately.

One of the issues I have noticed (while watching the motor trying to pinpoint a coolant leak lol) is this fitting spraying out what appears to be gas??

It's coming from the little blue cap in between my intake mani and air intake hose ... it appears to be attached to a hard fuel line ... although I truly don't know. Can anyone help me with this? I would really like to get this fixed, as it's spraying out quite significantly, and my truck is parked until I figure it out.






Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is fuel. Go to a ford dealer for a replacement valve.

What is this piece called? Is it some sort of pressure relief valve for bleeding the fuel lines or something?

I don't know what it's called, but that is where you hook up the fuel pressure gauge.

There is a piece inside the connection that looks that looks the image below you maybe able to replace just it to correct your problem. It just screws into the fuel rail housing.


  • Schrader valve.jpg
    Schrader valve.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 181

yep, thats your Rob Schneider valve. Cheap and easy to fix. Fire hazard in the mean time.;)

You may also have to replace the o-ring on the portion of the valve that screws into the fuel rail.

That's a valve stem from a tire.....

Thanks guys! I'll look into the rob Schneider valve lol. I figured it's best to park it being that it was spewing out a steady stream of gas ha.

you need to relieve the pressure in the rail before removing that valve .

If it's leaking the pressure should already be gone unless he turns the key on again. But it might be a good idea to have a good sized rag handy when you thread the old one out.

Make sure you sop up all the gas and spray it down before starting it after you're done fixing it.

That's a valve stem from a tire.....

its made identical to schrader from tire but different material and able to hold fue at high pressure. dont even think of using tire valve,,, mebbe whats wrong with that one, they not expensive,, id also suggest buying direct from ford parts counter, replace cap also,, its supposed to contain fuel if the valve failed so obviously its failed too,