Leaking fuel from vapor canister vent solenoid | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Leaking fuel from vapor canister vent solenoid

Mustang Guy

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
Looking for some help on a problem I just noticed today on my 2002 Explorer XLT 4.0 SOHC. When I came outside this afternoon I noticed a puddle of gasoline under my Explorer. I got underneath and saw fuel dripping steadily out of the hose going into the Vapor Canister Vent Solenoid from the gas tank side. I put my ear to the bottom of the gas tank and could hear a slight "gurgling" from inside. I went and opened the gas cap and could hear it releasing pressure for a few seconds. I then put a zip tie on the leaking vent hose. The Explorer was parked heading downhill with a 7/8 full tank.
I don't know if there is a connection or not but I also had a dead battery. I charged the battery and started it up. It runs fine and I scanned it but there are no codes.
Any insight or help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Dave

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Follow up:
I just went outside and it was leaking again. I opened the gas cap and heard the pressure releasing for 10 seconds or so. It seems pressure is building in the gas tank and forcing fuel out at the canister vent solenoid (it's 90* today and the Explorer is in the sun).

Just a thought. When you fill your tank do you try and get as much in it as possible? If you do it will sent fuel into the vent lone and fill the canister. I don't know how that valve works but there should not be any fuel in the vapor line. It could be a combination of the angle of the tank plus the temp expanding the fuel and forcing it into the line.

Bob T

:usa:

Just a thought. When you fill your tank do you try and get as much in it as possible? If you do it will sent fuel into the vent lone and fill the canister. I don't know how that valve works but there should not be any fuel in the vapor line. It could be a combination of the angle of the tank plus the temp expanding the fuel and forcing it into the line.

Bob T

:usa:

Thanks for the reply! As for "topping off", I don't ever force fuel when filling up, once it clicks off I stop adding any more. My Explorer was heading downhill so it was leaking from above the level of the fuel in the tank. I assume the only way it could do that is from pressure in the tank??? This has me baffled.

Thanks for the reply! As for "topping off", I don't ever force fuel when filling up, once it clicks off I stop adding any more. My Explorer was heading downhill so it was leaking from above the level of the fuel in the tank. I assume the only way it could do that is from pressure in the tank??? This has me baffled.
Did you ever fix this issue? I have same problem today gas coming out of Vapor Canister Vent Solenoid. and stalling issue. It was hot and filled up yesterday.

Back