• Register Today It's free!

leaking gear oil!

checkedout

Reaction score
City, State
Falling Waters WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer XLT
I noticed a few spots in the driveway yesterday so I crawled under the EX to have a look. It's gear oil and it appears to be coming from the vent hose on the front diff. i'll clean it up and look agian to be sure. Anyone know what would cause the oil to come out of the vent? It wasn't serviced so It's not from over filling and not much has leaked.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

all you knowledgeable people out there and no one has a reply?

Just getting to it......I seem to recall that there was a TSB out on what you describe. Check out http://www.alldata.com and look up your truck. They show all the tsb's issued for each vehicle.

Thanks. I looked it up but it just tells you the title unless you pay. Also, I've had the ex since the end of 95 and it has never done this before.

Do a search on this site- I know this has been discussed before.

what can i do with that list of tsbs from alldata? cna i just print it out and take it to the dealer with my vin number and see if all of them have been performed on my truck?

Thanks Steve. I did the search. Even found out that the TSB on this says to replace the diff cover with one that has a baffle on it to stop this. What's happening there is when in reverse the oil is pushed out the vent tube. I don't know why my ex would just now start to do that though after 177k and almost 8 years of driving it.

Could it just be that I need a fluid change? Could the oil be thinner now and that's why it's doing it now?

my 96 sport did the samething, one day it decided its gonna start leaking, when i extended my breathers it seemed to alleaviate the problem. I guess since the oil had farther to travel it stopped leaking out.

Back