Leaking heater bypass valve at max AC | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Leaking heater bypass valve at max AC

Capri302

Reaction score
City, State
SKJETTEN
Year, Model & Trim Level
4.0 4x4 1997 Explorer
Hello. to all AC- experts.

Myself I am a novice in this trade. But, I have come so far as to find the name on my leaking "tap", it's called the heater bypass valve. It leaks when it's in the MAX AC- position only.

The AC- system is empty (will soon be filled by professionals, yes). and I wonder: will this continue even with a filled/ pressurized AC- system?

Will it need to be replaced?

Here's the valve in question:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190431

I't a 97 OHV V6 (European version).

Hope someone can help.
Rune. Norway.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yup, if its leaking now it will leak later. Its actually not connected to the a/c. It is inline with the heater (coolant hoses) and makes the water/coolant bypass the heater core to help get the a/c even colder when your on max a/c (and in the off position too IIRC).

I have found that buying the cheap ones from the auto parts store just don't last. That is one of the few motorcraft (ford) parts I buy.

~Mark

OK, Maniak. (We gotta be related, because i am also known by the name "Caprimaniac"...)

Thanks for the help so far & for letting me know how the function of this valve.

Can anybody come up with the correct part number too? It'd make it alot easier to order one... Cos I gotta change it.
So, it's a 1997 4.0 OHV Explorer.

RS

ford part # is #F87Z18495AA and the motorcraft part # is MOTORCRAFT Part # YG350.

Thats for the 4 port valve which is what it looks like you have...

Rockauto has them for $16 and there is normally a 5% discount code for rockauto on here (have to search for the thread)..

~Mark

Would love to get it from Rockauto, but the shipping would be out of proportions as I live across the Atlantic.

Thank you, once again Maniak.

(I will have to check the ports to see if has 4; I seem to remember only3, but I might be wrong).

Regards
RS

A quick update: Now fixed, new valve fitted.

What did I pay? 89,5$ at a Ford- dealer here in Norway.

It's a shame.

Back