Suicide77

Elite Explorer
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Salt Lake City, Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer
I had my truck on a fairly steep angle last weekend and my cousin had noticed a little fluid leaking out the passenger side at the very front of the running board. Today, I had my Explorer on an even steeper slope and had a considerable amount of what looked, tasted, and smelled, like water leaking out. In the picture below you can see where it is leaking across the running board.

FireBreakRoad003.jpg

Any ideas??? All the fluid levels look good. The liquid was absolutely colorless, and had basically no distinct smell (other than plain old water). If anyone can lend a hand to this mystery that would be greatly appreciated!! I know about 2 months ago I burned through 2 EGR valve sensors, before upgrading to an aftermarket one. I don't know if the two are related, but I assume only water would burn out 2 sensors back to back? Also, I looked under the hood briefly and couldn't find any trails of fluid leading back to anything in view.

Any tests I should run, more photos, ideas? Thank you in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There's several possibiities, it could be the A/C draining, since it drains onto the passenger side fenderwell plastic from the top.

It could also be a leaky heater core. Check the passenger side floor area and feel if the carpet is damp or wet. You might want to pull the trim and/or kick panel there and feel the insulation under the carpet as well. You can also see the heater core from under the dash or by dropping/removing the glove compartment.

Otherwise it might be the heater hoses leaking from the firewall in the engine compartment, if the clamps get loose or the hoses are old the coolant can leak from there, and also from the heater bypass valve if so equipped.

Has it been loosing coolant slowly at all? If so then it's probably heater core/hoses.

It has not been loosing coolant slowly as far as I can tell. Let me check into it and tell you what I find. Thanks again for the speedy response Anime!

Could it just be rain water collecting inside the tupperware?

Going uphill, rainwater that collected in the rocker through the tupperware holes would leak out the back.

Is the water running down the face of the tupperware? Hard to see...

Had it on and even steeper slope today. Super proud of my X! It stuck like a spider to the rocks. However, this time it was steep enough for the fluid to come out the vents just below the windshield and run onto the windshield. I'll see if we got it in a picture. Again, super crystal clear "water". Also was running out the running boards on both sides at this extreme angle. The floor did not feel moist, damp, or wet. Thank you guys for the help!

PigPen045-1.jpg

Here you can make out the water lines going from just above the antenna down the side of the door, along with all the leaking fluid out the running board.

Your drain for the cowl is very likely plugged. Under the hood there are drains for that area. If they get plugged (parking under trees usually) the cowl holds water. It can also run into the heater box.

+1 on clogged cowl drain.

if it's clear water it has nothing to do with your cooling system/heater (antifreeze is kinda sticky and smells sweet) and i don't see how a clogged a/c drain can cause water to spill out near the windshield. so most likely a clogged cowl drain. other than the possibility of creating rust in the cowl i wouldn't worry about it. the easiest way to clear the drain would be to shove something up it from the bottom (like an old speedo cable or a piece of stiff wire) but you'd have to know where the drain is to do that.

On my BII it was water flowing out the windshield washer squirter nozzles (any time the truck was pointed uphill more than 20° or so it would flow). The fix is to reroute the hose from the washer fluid tank so it goes straight up right beside the tank (blocking it's flow by gravity) and then running it up under the lip of the fender rather than have it go underneath everything toward the firewall like stock.

Back