Leaking PS line at rack. Replacing Everything | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Leaking PS line at rack. Replacing Everything

Reaction score
City, State
Deltona Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer EB 4.6
So I put my battery in today after 4 or so months of the truck sitting while I replaced every suspension and brake part all the way around. I felt like I was almost to the finish line, battery was put in in preparation of bleeding the brakes. Got some fluid to all 4 corners, awesome. Didnt see any obvious leaks but one up front, but wait, thats just off center more towards the passenger side, and there shouldnt be any leaks there?? So I jack the POS up and lo and behold, the line that goes into the rack is leaking PS fluid. I said a few curse words, and my grandson looked at me funny and asked what the problem was, hes 9 and was laying there right next to me looking up at this POS. I was SOOOO close to taking it in for the 4 wheels alignment and getting this thing into the trails. All I can say is, now that its been a couple hours and Ive cooled off a little, Im glad it happened now. I can take the whole front end out with relative ease to do anything I want under there. So explorer gurus, (of which I feel like Im beginning to be), what would you replace? Ive decided Im just putting a detroit axle reman rack off ebay in there, I mean the body has 300k miles almost, motors at about 80k on its reman (4.6). So what lines do I need? It has a new PS pump, and the cooler and those lines look good surprisingly, may have already been replaced by PO at some point. Anything else up around the rack area I should look at?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would replace any hoses in the vicinity of the rack that are difficult to get to without removing covers etc. I had one replaced under the extended warranty on my 02 when it was about 5 years old. The original owner had purchased the warranty and I was able to buy it for $100. Best money I ever spent. Drove it for another 13 years without another hose going. When mine went I was fortunately in my driveway.

You need to check the manufacture date of your truck. The parts listed on RockAuto for a 2005 4.6L say "July 18, 2005 and older". All of the parts seem to say that so you should check to make sure.

LMHmedchem

You need to check the manufacture date of your truck. The parts listed on RockAuto for a 2005 4.6L say "July 18, 2005 and older". All of the parts seem to say that so you should check to make sure.

LMHmedchem
Seems to say that everywhere, but theres no option for any other ones either

if your build date is after the cutoff you most likely use the next model years parts.

This site used to provide allot of information based on your VIN.

This now only provides some summary information but you may be able to get more if you create an account and login. This is where I got my build date and it is important to know for a few things. There is a way to figure out the build year and month from the VIN. I will look it up.

LMHmedchem

Back