Leaking Windows Explorer Sport 2000 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Leaking Windows Explorer Sport 2000

Jerzey

Reaction score
City, State
Collinsville, IL formally from Atlantic City area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
So, I've got this slight issue and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction to fix it.

When it rains, or whenever I go to the carwash. All 3 of my rear windows (trunk area) leak. And they leak bad.

The exterior window trim is a bit deteriorated, but not falling off or chunky. Last year, I taped off the top of the two side windows and applied black silicone to the seam to see if it would help. Still leaks.

The rear window will run water down the inside when it's raining or in a carwash. Leaving water spots all down the back.

Of course, this leaking has prevented me from adding any stereo equipment to the back or being able to store anything back there of value. It fogs up my windows on a hot day because of the dampness, and makes the truck smell a lil funky at times.

Anyone have any tips on how I can seal those side windows and tips on fixing the leaking rear window? I'd like to utilize the trunk more often... Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On the rear gate window, check the hinges for the rear glass. They are suppose to have a little rubber pad that is sandwiched between the glass and the hinge. This rubber pad is separate from the round plastic washer type that the screw goes thru the hatch glass. The rear glass must be perfectly flat up against the rubber seal on the tailgate window which is accomplished by the little rubber pad and the hinge. Mine's leaked a long time until I finally noticed someone had left out the rubber pad on one hinge side. Good luck.

On the rear gate window, check the hinges for the rear glass. They are suppose to have a little rubber pad that is sandwiched between the glass and the hinge. This rubber pad is separate from the round plastic washer type that the screw goes thru the hatch glass. The rear glass must be perfectly flat up against the rubber seal on the tailgate window which is accomplished by the little rubber pad and the hinge. Mine's leaked a long time until I finally noticed someone had left out the rubber pad on one hinge side. Good luck.

I'll look today. Where can I get said rubber pad? And do you know where I can get a replacement seal?

And what about the side windows?

Not sure on the sport, but on my 4door the rear 2 windows leaked pretty good, it turns out that the windows are held in with 4? 10mm bolts, I tightened them up a little bit and haven't had a leak since, I wouldn't worry about doing anything crazy either, it took mine 17 years to start leaking.

Not sure on the sport, but on my 4door the rear 2 windows leaked pretty good, it turns out that the windows are held in with 4? 10mm bolts, I tightened them up a little bit and haven't had a leak since, I wouldn't worry about doing anything crazy either, it took mine 17 years to start leaking.

How do I access them? From the inside?

How do I access them? From the inside?

you have to remove the plastic trim panels first. there are at least 8 nuts to be tightened (10mm?). be careful not to over tighten them or you may break them or your window. as far as the lift-gate window, where is it leaking from? you may need to replace the rubber weather stripping. if it's the rubber washers you may need to tighten the hinges. if you want to replace them, hardware stores sell rubber "fender" washers that should work.

you have to remove the plastic trim panels first. there are at least 8 nuts to be tightened (10mm?). be careful not to over tighten them or you may break them or your window. as far as the lift-gate window, where is it leaking from? you may need to replace the rubber weather stripping. if it's the rubber washers you may need to tighten the hinges. if you want to replace them, hardware stores sell rubber "fender" washers that should work.

Thanks, I'll dig into it this weekend. I think the rubber washers are there and in tack. I'm sure it needs the weatherstripping replaced. Got an idea where I can get some besides the dealer?

Thanks, I'll dig into it this weekend. I think the rubber washers are there and in tack. I'm sure it needs the weatherstripping replaced. Got an idea where I can get some besides the dealer?

if RockAuto or LMC truck doesn't sell it, you're left with the salvage yard.

I replaced a rear side window. The hardest part was removing the side panel to access the nuts that hold the window in.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328541

I used 5/16" 3M Window-Weld Round Ribbon Sealer that I got from my local NAPA. I feel it was a bit too thick, but there are no leaks.

I replaced a rear side window. The hardest part was removing the side panel to access the nuts that hold the window in.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328541

I used 5/16" 3M Window-Weld Round Ribbon Sealer that I got from my local NAPA. I feel it was a bit too thick, but there are no leaks.

Thanks man! I appreciate it guys. I'm going to tackle this soon. That funky musty smell is starting to get to me.

Any tips on the rear window weatherstripping obtainment?

F87Z7842084AA might be the part number...

and it appears to be discontinued...

Back