• Register Today It's free!

Leaking windshield

1996Z15

Reaction score
City, State
Little Egg Harbor, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
I have a 1997 Explorer and have noticed that the headliner area above the windshield gets damp when it rains. On the exterior of the vehicle I can see that the rubber weatherstripping is kind of curled and appears to no longer provide a tight seal to the vehicle.

Can I simply get the windshield removed and re-sealed? Do I need to purchase replacement rubber for around the windshield or is that something that the glass guy would have?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have a sun roof? Is so, check the frame and drain lines in the corners.
It's next to impossible to remove a windshield. Pull the head liner down and see if you can spot the point of entry. Some Silicon should do the trick.

The windshields and the trim around them is glued in. Most glass shops will not attempt to reseal these windshields without warning you that the glass will probably get broken trying to remove it. Same goes for the rear side glass also.

Odds are high that the "re-install" won't be easy or go well. One of the main reason for your leaking is that rusting has occurred under the rubber area such that the glues have nothing to "grasp". I have had the same problem crop up on my 96. I basically ran a bead of silicon (automotive) around the top boundary - body to rubber gasket. Works well, I touch it up every other year of so depending on leakages..... $6 for tube of silicon versus probably $150-$200 for a re-install.

Thanks, I had thought about the silicone sealant but, didn't want the repair to look like crap. I will see if I can lift the rubber slightly so I can get the silicone under it to make an invisible repair.

I have the same problem except my windshield metal brace is sticking up about 1/2 an inch.

before you start tearing into anything, try putting some black electrical tape on the suspected leaking area. my 2000 Mounty had a leak which either showed up on the headliner in the front, or the rear depending on how i parked (nose up, or nose down). i was sure it was the roof rack, so i re-sealed the screws, but it still leaked. i then removed the roof rack and put tape over all the screw holes on the offending side. still leaked. finally started to think that maybe it was the rear side window. put a strip of tape along the top of the window and the leak stopped.

as it turned out, the bolts that hold the rear window in were all really loose. a few turns with a 10mm wrench - no more leaks. if you have a moon roof, one or more of the 4 drains tubes can become clogged. sometimes a drain hose can even pull off of its drain tube as there's no clamp.

I also have a leaking windshield, I had fixed the leaking sunroof problems with some hose clamps last year. It looks as if the sealer has fallen down and it leaks at the point where is dips down, I was also wondering if I can pull the outter seal to get some silicone in there to try and seal it up.

Back