• Register Today It's free!

Leaking windshield!

Edmjenny

Reaction score
City, State
Spruce grove, alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 explorer xlt
I just bought 2020 explorer in February it’s now June, it only has 2800 kms on it.
when removing the weather tech Mats the carpets were SOAKED underneath. Took it into service to find out the wiring harness was stuck in the bottom of the windshield, so the whole time the car has been leaning behind the dash and on the floorI had forgotten my mail key and arranged to pick up from my car TWO WEEKS later I found my explorer had been sitting in the rain and sun with wet carpet - the smells was unbearable. After having my car for 4 weeks they replaced the windshield, “cleaned” the carpet and sprayed some enzymes
When I got my explorer back I found mold under the carpet as well as a rusted bolt, I’ve taken a swap of the mold and sent it in for results ... I’m still waiting for the results
the explorer went back to the shop where they ripped it apart and told me they didn’t see anything and there was no smells But they sprayed it with enzimes
Not willing to work on the vehicle again till the test comes back (which I’m paying for) now I’m dealing with the FordPass app telling me it’s in sleep mode .. I drive my suv daily. Doesnt have mold but the mold test Petri dish looks like this .. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Attachments

• ADA444EC-DD46-4D5C-851A-BC949BD7BF2C.jpeg
    ADA444EC-DD46-4D5C-851A-BC949BD7BF2C.jpeg
    186.5 KB · Views: 159
  • A9378934-DBA5-4E5E-B1F6-46C254E560BF.jpeg
    A9378934-DBA5-4E5E-B1F6-46C254E560BF.jpeg
    138.2 KB · Views: 172
  • E3909575-A78B-4AA1-AD34-4BBA590EB119.jpeg
    E3909575-A78B-4AA1-AD34-4BBA590EB119.jpeg
    185.3 KB · Views: 157

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, that is brutal. I assume you are dealing with Zender Ford given your location? Or is it another dealer in the Edmonton area (I deal with Denny Andrews).

At any rate, not sure who you should deal with if your dealer is not going to make things right. I have dealt with AMVIC before on another matter but they were not much help. Having said that, they have been overhauled under the new government so maybe are a little more active now in helping out consumers (especially since auto purchasers pay for their existence).

And i guess getting in touch with Ford Canada is another option.

But that really sucks to have that happen to a brand new vehicle. I know mine shut down completely after one day of ownership due to a faulty ground wire but it got fixed after a week in the shop and knock on wood no issues since then. Good luck and please keep us posted with your results.

Welcome to the Forum Jenny. :wave:
After the issue had gone on that long, the carpet should have been replaced, not just cleaned.

Peter

I would contact Ford. Mold can be very insidious and is a health hazard. I would try to get them to take the car back, but the very least I would accept is complete replacement of the carpets and a thorough cleaning of the area by someone who knows how to deal with mold. By now it could be in the ventilation system as well. Don't know how your legal system works, but here we would have lemon laws, the BBB and/or lawyers to help with this kind of thing. That's both good and bad...

Yes, full carpet replacement up front should be done. On top of that, Id express your concerns about future water damage to electrical harnesses and request an extended warranty to cover this.

yes I’m dealing with Zender ford - I’m not happy with them right now
Hoping I get the mould test results back soon if not there’s a company in Edmonton that will do an air mold test. It’s just been a fiasco
I’ve been in contact with Ford Canada and they’ve been useless -I told him I wanted my vehicle replaced and they said that’s not gonna happen. I told him I wanted my vehicle replaced and they said that’s not gonna happen. I was told that if I’m not happy I should trade my vehicle in and take the loss 🤷🏻‍♀️

I would contact Ford. Mold can be very insidious and is a health hazard. I would try to get them to take the car back, but the very least I would accept is complete replacement of the carpets and a thorough cleaning of the area by someone who knows how to deal with mold. By now it could be in the ventilation system as well. Don't know how your legal system works, but here we would have lemon laws, the BBB and/or lawyers to help with this kind of thing. That's both good and bad...
The Ford dealership took my car in to rip out all the carpets replace them and whatever else needed to be replaced. But then told me they werent doing anything until my mold test results came back. Here in Canada we have no lemon laws unfortunately

Try ALS in Edmonton. They do all kinds of environmental and air quality testing.

Yes, full carpet replacement up front should be done. On top of that, Id express your concerns about future water damage to electrical harnesses and request an extended warranty to cover this.
Try ALS in Edmonton. They do all kinds of environmental and air quality testing.
ill send them a message, thank you

Wow, that is brutal. I assume you are dealing with Zender Ford given your location? Or is it another dealer in the Edmonton area (I deal with Denny Andrews).

At any rate, not sure who you should deal with if your dealer is not going to make things right. I have dealt with AMVIC before on another matter but they were not much help. Having said that, they have been overhauled under the new government so maybe are a little more active now in helping out consumers (especially since auto purchasers pay for their existence).

And i guess getting in touch with Ford Canada is another option.

But that really sucks to have that happen to a brand new vehicle. I know mine shut down completely after one day of ownership due to a faulty ground wire but it got fixed after a week in the shop and knock on wood no issues since then. Good luck and please keep us posted with your results.
Got the results back and it’s got mold in it! So upset I’ve been driving my kids around in a potentially dangerous vehicle. I’ve called ford Canada - will see what they do about it .. keep you all posted

Attachments

• 6EFB8ECF-F2E5-4328-94A9-78BA048AAFB5.jpeg
    6EFB8ECF-F2E5-4328-94A9-78BA048AAFB5.jpeg
    219.5 KB · Views: 135
  • F7DCF91C-B89C-445D-AB80-7BA90FEB6D1F.png
    F7DCF91C-B89C-445D-AB80-7BA90FEB6D1F.png
    323.4 KB · Views: 146

Unfortunately, that isn't surprising. The carpeting needs to be removed and the interior needs to be disinfected before installing the new carpet. Not being familiar with this, I searched and it seems water and white vinegar will kill mold in carpets. Also, check the seats and belts. I doubt a dealer would much experience with this.

Peter

@Edmjenny

Just askin' ; are you, your kids, or significant other under the care of an Allergist ;)

Back