• Register Today It's free!

Leaky Sunroof in '98 Explorer

avi

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Eddie Bauer
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to seal a leaky sunroof? I have a pool of water in the ceiling carpet about 1 inch to the left and 2 inches back from the front of the sunroof.

Any suggestions would be helpful!!

Thanks!!:redexp: :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is this the factory power moonroof?

weird

huh? i too have the same moonroof. and sometimes when it rains i hear a gurglin g sound like there is water going somewhere in my car but i dont know where. i hae not noticed anything showing yet though. and i have never seen any evidence of it leaking but it still makes me wonder what the heck it is that is making that sound.

have the drain plugs/holes checked, they are probably plugged or stopped up.

you may need to go to the dealership and have them show you where they are [once].

peter

The water noise you hear is probably water leaking into the roof. My buddies Honda did that. It gets caught in teh roof and can't make it out. Doesn't sound good.

Mine leaks where the headliner meets the windshield. It first seemed like the windshield seal was bad but re-sealed it and it didn't help.

I don't know how to re-connect your drain lines, but I'm temped to just silicone the holes in the moonroof track. You can see them from the outside. They are int he front corners.

If I remember, the drain hose is located toward the B-pillar. I think this is correct. I hope this helps.

the moonroof in my '96 does the same thing. I can hear the water sloshing around in the roof. If I park on an incline(nose in the air) it pours down the panel right behind the drivers seat. When it rains really hard it actually pours through the moonroof onto my head. Also does anyone know how well that glass holds up to hail? We often see golfball sized or bigger around here, I asked Ford but they were no help.

Im a Ford assembler who actually installs moonroofs.I dont know if the F-150 and the Explorer moonroofs are exactly the same but they should be similar.There are 4 set screws that are accessable from the inside of the vehicle .They can be adjusted to make the moonroof seal fit properly.Loosen them,then set the moonroof flush with the roof(check from above the vehicle)then retighten them.The drain hoses are mainly for small amounts of waterand you probably have four(two front and two back.Try to push the moonroof foward when setting it to insure a good fit.That should do the trick unless your rubber seals are bad.Oh yeah you might need a hand when doing it .Get someone to hold it while you tighten the screws back. Good luck! ;) ;)

Originally posted by tenikiwon
The water noise you hear is probably water leaking into the roof. My buddies Honda did that. It gets caught in teh roof and can't make it out. Doesn't sound good.

Mine leaks where the headliner meets the windshield. It first seemed like the windshield seal was bad but re-sealed it and it didn't help.

I don't know how to re-connect your drain lines, but I'm temped to just silicone the holes in the moonroof track. You can see them from the outside. They are int he front corners.

I just noticed a leak in mine where you say yours is, right at the windshield to headliner junction, almost directly above the rear-view mirror. It's leaked down the windshield on the inside and I've also seen a couple of drips on the dash. I sprayed the roof to check the drain lines and they appear OK, water drips on the ground below the A-pillar. On mine it may be the windshield seal. ??

You should be able to pull the interior trim along the A-pillar (or maybe the hose comes down the B-pillar and goes forward underneath) and watch water as you spray the roof.

Lou.

bump

Back