• Register Today It's free!

Lean codes both banks

JamesSupp

Reaction score
City, State
Hampton, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer 4.0 ohv
Hello everyone, hoping someone will be able to help. I've recently installed engine and I'm getting lean codes on both banks. At first thought maybe MAF sensor, I replaced that along with egr valve and dpfe sensor. Then I went back over the valve cover and intake gaskets with a fel pro set this time still getting codes. I have also replaced fuel pump and filter. I have only drove about 5 or 6 times to test drive. Today I noticed the right port of my new DPFE sensor melted. My research leads me to believe I may be getting back pressure from the exhaust. Has anyone experienced anything like this before?Could this cause both banks to run lean? Also went back over fuses (which I have already tested and replaced bad ones) and noticed now I'm not getting any juice to fuse port #13 which my manual says it's for the heated oxygen sensor, egr vacuum regulator, evr solenoid, camshaft position sensor, and canister vent solenoid. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've replaced alot of stuff, at this point I'm just throwing money in the wind. Oh yeah Happy Easter!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you're not getting 12V IN to fuse 13 then you probably have a blown fuse in the under hood power distribution box, OR when the engine was put in, something wasn't reconnected or a wire was damaged.

If you're not getting 12V IN to fuse 13 then you probably have a blown fuse in the under hood power distribution box, OR when the engine was put in, something wasn't reconnected or a wire was damaged.
I appreciate the response I've gone over the wiring 5 or 6 times now have not seen any connections lose there is a possibility a connection could be dirty. I really hope it's not a chafed or burnt wire that could take some time to track down. The fuse 13 port I'm not getting power to is actually located under the hood in the distribution box.

Are your O2 sensors functioning correctly? From what you said you're getting O2 voltage codes....

Bad or unhooked O2's can definitely cause a lean condition, which can lead to hot running, hence your melted DPFE.

Are your O2 sensors functioning correctly? From what you said you're getting O2 voltage codes....

Bad or unhooked O2's can definitely cause a lean condition, which can lead to hot running, hence your melted DPFE.

That's funny you mention that a buddy of mine was thinking the same thing. How would I go about testing them? I've heard something before about where you can test them another way without a meter. Have you ever heard of this?

That's funny you mention that a buddy of mine was thinking the same thing. How would I go about testing them? I've heard something before about where you can test them another way without a meter. Have you ever heard of this?

I've heard of testing them with a blowtorch and voltmeter -- but have never have done that myself.

If I get O2 codes I make sure my fuel pressure regulator is working first (not sure of your OBD-II setup, but on the OBD-I OHV we have a vac controlled FPR -- yours may be all electric), because if the FPR is dumping too much fuel in there, it'll foul your O2s. Then I usually verify that the O2's are connected, and that the wires are not chafed or otherwise damaged. If I can verify that, and they still don't work, I just replace them. They are such a long wear item (100,000 miles or more in my experience with this engine) that I don't even mess with them. I just replace. Especially in your case, where I think you said you just dropped a new engine in, or at least rebuilt parts. Who knows how old your O2s are....you might as well get known good/new parts in there with your new other parts. You're already having to replace other parts (melted DPFE) because of the lean condition, so it's costing you time money and aggravation.

I don't recall the specifics but you can hook up a scan tool that shows live data, look at what the 02 sensor readings are, and possibly pinpoint whether they look like they're reporting correctly or giving the wrong values. There's probably a youtube video about it, though I'd look for any about the sensors and live data, not just one about Explorers.

Have you checked all your vacuum lines. That will give you a lean code.

Back