Learning how to rebuild transmissions...How? Where? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Learning how to rebuild transmissions...How? Where?

35Remmy

Reaction score
City, State
Binghamton NY, Hazleton PA, Northern NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'88,'99 Ranger, '00 EX
So, how do I learn how to rebuild 'em?!

Local tech school?

I've ALWAYS had an interest in learning how to rebuild automatic transmissions, just never knew where to go or who to ask.

Automatic transmissions are a MYSTERY!!!!! Remember?!!!

By the time I expire I want to have successfully rebuilt just ONE transmission.

I started in my own garage. My A4LD Diary was done when I was still pretty green. YOU can SELF teach this stuff... in fact that was the genesis of the A4LD Diary. You need to be (or it helps to be) computer savvy... also helps to know E-Bay and from there my diary was designed to be a blueprint to allow anyone to rebuild their A4LD.

Ditto on what Glacier said.

I've only been on this forum for a short time. What brought me here was the search for information after I was quoted $1200 from a local idiot to "overhaul" my '92 EX tranny.

I worked as a mechanic when I was a young man. Cars were simpler, used trannys were plentiful in the local wrecking yards. Heck, people would give you a car just to get it off their property. I never had a need to work on an automatic tranny, just find a car with a bad engine and the car was almost free.

Fast forward 40 years....nothing is cheap if you have to pay someone to do it. I retired from teaching in '99 and still lived in the past in my mind. I honestly had never needed to get transmission repairs since the '70's and thought it was a bad joke when someone quoted me today's prices.

If you have the basic tools and a desire, buy some ATSG manuals for the types of trannys you have and read them and the info in the sticky's at the beginning of this section. the color pictures in this forum helped me more than anything else. they put the books (ATSG) in a better perspective.

I went through my A4LD and it worked ! If I can overhaul my first tranny at 59, so can anyone else. Don't let the naysayers get under your skin,,,,it ain't rocket science, it's repair manuals, common sense, and the explorer forum. :D

..............jjf

Back