• Register Today It's free!

Learning the ropes

Nic211

Reaction score
City, State
Leavenworth, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer Xlt
A Year ago I purchased a 99 Explorer for myself. It's the first car I've purchased and not a hand me down. Before I had a 97 Lumina which was an absolute tank that just wouldn't die. Unfortunately it was totaled outside my house 2 months after I bought the X. I had planned on fixing up the X totally before I sold the Lumina but obviously I was out my Daily Driver. When I purchased the X I new how to change my own oil and that was about it. I now know a lot more but that's far from a lot. There's only some minor issues with the Truck but I'd like to get well versed in fixing anything on it. The couple I purchased it from were literally selling off everything they owned and were moving out of state. It had some issues so I talked them down to $775 (WHAT A STEAL) and drove it home that same day.
Since I've had it I've replaced all the brakes, gotten new tires (The old tires were from 2001!)
Put a new handle, actuator and door latch on the drivers door though it's still not working .
It was also missing a hinge for the back glass which I replaced and I put new Struts on the hood.

Things I'd like to do in the following months are
In no particular order
-Replace my non existing parking brake
-Update the suspension
-Install newlights/restore original
-Install a new grille
-Fix shifter link
-Install a new gasket on the rear diff
-Update Audio
-Fix minor rust

So yeah that's about it. I'm glad to be a new member of this forum!

Sounds like that list will will keep you busy for awhile.

Welcome to the forum:chug:

Back