• Register Today It's free!

Leather Seams Issue

JenB1972

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer
I have a new 2015 Ford Explorer LTD. Just over 1 month old and 1000 miles. I noticed the passenger seat leather is starting to separate at the seams...the thread seems to be fraying and sticking up. I made an appointment with my dealer to take a look at this (the driver's side is fine)...has anyone had an issue with this and how did Ford handle it?

Thanks!
image-400x300.jpeg
image1.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a new 2015 Ford Explorer LTD. Just over 1 month old and 1000 miles. I noticed the passenger seat leather is starting to separate at the seams...the thread seems to be fraying and sticking up...

Hi JenB1972,

I want to get this into the hands of your regional customer service manager so they can help. To get things started, PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. Leave the rest to me. :thumbsup:

Crystal

The seam looks normal. What you are seeing that is "fraying" is the fiber from the underlying cushioning that has pulled thru by the thread when it was sewed!

Doesn't look normal to me.

The seam looks normal. What you are seeing that is "fraying" is the fiber from the underlying cushioning that has pulled thru by the thread when it was sewed!

Thanks Dr. Plastic, however as a professional seamstress, I can tell you this is definitely not normal. It is the actual thread that is fraying, not the underlying cushioning. When thread frays, it becomes weak so my guess is that it is only a matter of time before this seam actually comes apart.... you can see from the photo that it is only a section of the seam that is doing this.

I had the same issue and it was fixed under warranty...it is not 'fraying'

Update

Ford has decided that this is "fixable" and is sending the cover out to an upholstery shop to repair. Any thoughts? Should I be pushing for a replacement since this is a BRAND NEW car? Or should I be happy with this offer to fix it with an outside repair shop?

Maybe, maybe not. I'd want it replaced.

Ford has decided that this is "fixable" and is sending the cover out to an upholstery shop to repair. Any thoughts? Should I be pushing for a replacement since this is a BRAND NEW car? Or should I be happy with this offer to fix it with an outside repair shop?

I'm a big supporter of Ford but having it "repaired" from a 3rd party is not acceptable with a 1 month old vehicle. The leather should be replaced. If you were talking a 2 year old vehicle.. maybe, but not a brand new vehicle.

Not only that but I'd be concerned with it happening again. Then you have a 3rd party involved and not Ford doing the repair. This to me is a potential grey area down the road if something about the repair fails.

I'm a big supporter of Ford but having it "repaired" from a 3rd party is not acceptable with a 1 month old vehicle. The leather should be replaced. If you were talking a 2 year old vehicle.. maybe, but not a brand new vehicle.

Not only that but I'd be concerned with it happening again. Then you have a 3rd party involved and not Ford doing the repair. This to me is a potential grey area down the road if something about the repair fails.

I agree, and I did question it with my case manager after posting here. He told me that this is typical protocol and that if the repair does not hold, they will indeed replace it. I guess I have 3 years to test it out. He did offer me 3 years of complimentary oil changes and tire rotations as a courtesy which I am appreciative of.

I'll update this thread at the end of the month when the repair is scheduled. I'm hoping for the best.

Back