• Register Today It's free!

Leather seats

MX-5.0

Reaction score
City, State
Miami
Year, Model & Trim Level
What Explorer
I just bought a 1997 Explorer XLS. Green with grey cloth interior. Has anyone ever changed thier seats to a leather interior that was not a factory job? i dont mean findign leather seats and bolting tehm in , I mean a profesional install of an aftermarket "leather kit" if there is such a thing.

A friend of mine bought a Mazda 6 that was done afeter market - you couldnt tell as it looked as nice as stock. My other car is a Miata and I know of many other Miatas that have had such work done, just wondering if such a thing exists in the Exploder world.

(My buddy is putting 4 Sparcos in his Exploder - but my 'X' is my 'comfy' driver.)

PS I did try a search on this but found nothing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any upholstery shop could do that for you but the cost of leather is going to be very expensive. You might be better off finding a used set on eBay.

MY father has a full size Dodge Van that he upholstered one bench seat for $300+ and that wasn't even leather.

btw, what does "NM" mean?

Yo, I was looking for a "leather kit" to install into my 98 sport, but they were pretty expensive and they required a lot of work to put on. Some shops would do it, but it's almost not worth it.

What I did was called up a Ford truck wrecker and asked if they had leather seats. They had several sets and I bought a full set of front and rears for $350. My original seats were the basic captains chairs, so I had to wire the driver's seat because it was electric.

I thought that this was the better option being that it required minimum labor and was pretty cheap. I do remember some websites that sold some pretty sweet seats like suede, two tone, etc. Do a search on the internet.

Thanks,
Raphael

Thanks for the replies.

Katzskin was exactly the thing I was looking for thanks.

PS 'NM' means 'no message' - I thought I found a kit on Explorer Express but it was a 3rd bench in leather, when I realized it was a bench and I tried to delete the reply. It would delete so I put 'NM'.

katzkin is the way to go.

i had katzskin leather installed back in february. i love it is even nicer than my dad's stock leather in his '02. I definitely recommend it. I paid $1400 installed but it was worth it, you could probably do it yourself. I also had a driver's side seat warmer installed, and that thing is awesome.

Save yourself the trouble and get the leathers from a junk yard. There are only 4 bolts required to take out each of the front seats. The back seats are also 4 bolts each.

ford sells a leather seat cover kit for most ford aps just check the FRP catalog.

Originally posted by Black Magic
Go to www.katzkin.com they have very good kits for great prices.

They actually did an episode of 'Trucks!' On TNN (now Spike TV) where they installed katzkin's on a '97 or '98 green explorer.

Back