LED Back-up reverse lights

TBill

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Prescott, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Platinum
Anyone found a good replacement back-up light bulb for the latest generation of Explorer, the lights that come on when you are in reverse are weak at best.

PB

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I also installed the Zevos. Very happy with them.

Thanks guys, I'll order up a set,

TB

I have these and they work great! - from Amazon
JDM ASTAR Super Bright AX-2835 Chipsets 912 921 LED Bulbs For Backup Reverse Lights, Xenon White (Only used for backup reverse lights)
Link: http://a.co/auBTqO9

Thanks guys, I'll order up a set,

TB

The nice thing with these is you can get them at Autozone or Advance Auto Parts, and probably others, for the same or close to online prices.

Anyone found a good replacement back-up light bulb for the latest generation of Explorer, the lights that come on when you are in reverse are weak at best.

PB
Just picked these up. New on left, oem on right. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07FHYQB9C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 We'll see how they last.

20181114_174103.jpg

These LED replacement bulbs often look brighter in the housing so they are more visible to others, but they don't really seem to "work" much better. Anyone have any pics like the one below that shows how they differ from than the stock bulbs where it matters?

VByZ3rD.png

This is a supposedly a pic of the JDM ASTAR from above and they seem to actually be worse than OEM incandescent bulbs.

I will try to take a picture of my Boodleds in action. They do have 15 leds in the top projector part of the housing so we'll see.

I will try to take a picture of my Boodleds in action. They do have 15 leds in the top projector part of the housing so we'll see.
No pressure, but a before and after pic like the one above would really show the difference. I'm sure there are some that may be better, but I suppose it will all come down to how they interact with the reflector vs the OEM bulbs and whether the light output is more than the OEM bulbs.

I wonder if it would be better to just use an auxiliary reverse light that plugs into the hitch to brighten up the rear view or auxiliary reverse lights that mount around the license plate to augment the stock ones...

I have these and they work great! - from Amazon
JDM ASTAR Super Bright AX-2835 Chipsets 912 921 LED Bulbs For Backup Reverse Lights, Xenon White (Only used for backup reverse lights)
Link: http://a.co/auBTqO9
I had bad luck with JDM ASTAR, as they all burnt out less than a year.
The seller did sent replacements, but they also burnt and I went back to regular halogens.

I am 3 years into JDM ASTAR units and still going strong.

1 of of my Boodleds burnt out in 2 months. Sending them back and trying something else.

1 of of my Boodleds burnt out in 2 months. Sending them back and trying something else.
Is a burn out considered a manufacturer's defect?

Peter

Is a burn out considered a manufacturer's defect?

Peter
Most likely but Amazon's return centre is sooo much easier to deal with than the manufacturer's customer service dept.

I got some Morimotos from TRS, very happy with them so far.

I also installed the Zevos. Very happy with them.

I went with Zevos as well. I don't know if they are any more effective than stock, but they look prettier, so there's that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got some Morimotos from TRS, very happy with them so far.
I emailed Mormoto & they advised that the LED BULBS 7440: MORIMOTO X-VF are what's needed for backup bulb replacement on our explorers. And I can see why because in addition to the spot LED out the rear of the bulb, they also have LED's on the sides which I would think would make use of the reflector in the housing.

I have not purchased these just yet as $50 for the pair takes some thinking about right now as it looks like the IRS has monies due from us this go around!!!

7440: X-VF LED Virtual Filament Bulbs - Automotive Signal & Brake Bulbs from Morimoto HID

Back