led brake lights switched brightness-park/brake | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

led brake lights switched brightness-park/brake

i bought some 31 led red 3157 tail lights for my truck and the only problem i have with them are,
when i brake, they are as bright as park lights!
but when i put park lights on, they are bright as braking lights!
-and with the park lights on, it overrides the brake light signal and stays full on

ive read the led pages and couldnt find someone with that problem anyone know what to do? is there a resistor or something i need?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just off hand it sounds like the brake & park light wires are reversed. BUT, I'm no expert on LEDs. Email the place you got them from & see what they say.

Just off hand it sounds like the brake & park light wires are reversed. BUT, I'm no expert on LEDs. Email the place you got them from & see what they say.

well thats where im thinking i threw ten bucks away- they are from ebay , and a chinese like seller :rolleyes: the lights only work one way-if you put the bulb in backwards it wont light at all

Do the brake lights/blinker get brighter when they're on? I had that problem on my truck and found out I had to run an inline resistor.

Do the brake lights/blinker get brighter when they're on? I had that problem on my truck and found out I had to run an inline resistor.

if i have my parkklights on, my brake lights dont override them- because the park lights are as bright as normal brake lights and with park lights off the brake lights are only as bright as park lights...

Those LED bulbs are a joke.

99.9% of the time something goes wrong with them, besides my taurus, ive never seen/had a pair i was satisfied with, that fully replaced my stock halogens.

They say to get that "load equalizer," that doesnt work worth-a-sh*t, my taurus had separate amber blinkers in back, so the LEDs are fine in the taillights.

My explorer is just one bulb, and the reverse bulb, the blinkers wouldnt work after i put them in, and my truck literally wouldnt shift into 5th gear, and my REAR ANTILOCK light came on. I took them out for regular bulbs, everything was fine. Put the LEDs back in there and it happened again. I just stuck with replacing the 3rd brake light with 2 little LED bulbs, now everythings fine. Unless you can find one of those aftermarket taillights that are LED, I mean the WHOLE HOUSING like take your old taillights off and replace them with these, then dont even bother.

thats kinda what i figured- but my trnasmission shifts fine for the record-

Patrick, you still have two wires going into those taillight connectors yes? Try swapping them, see if that does or doesn't interfere with the brake switch functions, which can affect the torque converter lock up. Remove the two wires from the connector, and swap them. There is a tiny plastic lock in all connectors to keep the wires from coming out. You have to figure out how to pick the tiny plastic piece out first, then the wires are easy to remove with a tiny screw driver or pick.

Patrick, you still have two wires going into those taillight connectors yes? Try swapping them, see if that does or doesn't interfere with the brake switch functions, which can affect the torque converter lock up. Remove the two wires from the connector, and swap them. There is a tiny plastic lock in all connectors to keep the wires from coming out. You have to figure out how to pick the tiny plastic piece out first, then the wires are easy to remove with a tiny screw driver or pick.

i will post back in an hour or so to have results! :p:

fixxxxeedddd!!!!

so i got to switching my wires and then i thought, the prongs on the led looked a little crooked... so someone in china is bending these prongs the wrong way!!
i bent them up and over pressed them down and all is fixed! :) i will keep an eye out for weird tranny shifts though, cause if that happens, they will be junked!!:p:

if someone is bored-try this yourself! im sure it would work with regular bulbs

Very good, you diagnosed the quality control problem. Another management mistake.

:thumbsup: Well...Who would think the Asians would have done something sloppy:rolleyes:
Good job.

thats kinda what i figured- but my trnasmission shifts fine for the record-

Yeah i know it sounds crazy haha but its what happened for me, probably not to common but sh*t happens :p

I am an LED freak, and I wish I could change EVERY bulb on my ex. to an LED, but im not gonna do it, then have problems and all that lol.

Im sure ill eventually get most of my bulbs, im doing all the gauge/dash lights in LED's here in the next month or so.

Bu tglad you got it fixed :D

Back