LED bulbs made | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED bulbs made

Hi,
I'm usually not good with this stuff and im sure its been done better than me but i bought a pack of LED's and was doing my explorer and thought 'hey, why not do my mustang too' so i popped the covers off and it had one of those 578 bulbs with the two connectors on each side, so i decided to make these:

4224158246_c76bb5226f_o.jpg

4223395793_6835d7412c_o.jpg

What i did first was cut out a piece of project board. i just measured the old bulb on top and i didnt get the exact measurements but it ended up being 3 holes tall.

4224651382_9ac00bcec8_o.jpg

then i hot glued in 3 led's facing horizontally leaving 3 holes on each side of the end led's and one hole space inbetween each one, it just cleared the plastic bezel with these 'measurements'.

4224648326_9559ae51d3_o.jpg

4223880475_3129fe097d_o.jpg

4224649328_38d10f6785_o.jpg

i took the old bulbs and cut off the two wire ends, and then just pryed the end caps off with a knife to use on the project board

4224649910_bea543fbc7_o.jpg

then i arranged the negatives and the positives all to one side of the board, soldered in the resistors to the positive and lead it to one side then the negative to the other, i curled it around back to the project board just like the stock bulbs look like. i then put the end caps on until i could see the wire touching the end caps, i soldered the wires to the end cap and hot glued the sides of the end caps to the board to make sure. here is a picture of all of them

4224650422_ae14929643_o.jpg

and the end results are posted below. hope this helped.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

DANG you made that? Nice work....hows the output on those though?

I'll upload some pictures when its all done. i tried putting one bulb in to show you and the holder was hanging there so i went to put a screw in while the bulb was on and it blew the fuse lol so im just going to wait until its all done :)

here they are. I also edited the main post about how i did it

4224639142_d0e8602589_o.jpg

4224639888_28c5891ab5_o.jpg

Looks about the same as mine, good job. You gotta love the lighting in there now, way better than the yellowish lights..

so much better. definitely a good hobby and time waster lol

It's an extremely cheap, and effective way to change the interior appearance noticeably. Good mod in my book.

i agree. better than spending like $10-$20 a bulb from some places.

....Are you sitting around the control panel pressing refresh?.. this is the fastest response I've gotten in awhile in a thread. lol.. I used 5 SMD LEDs for all my interior lights... the rear bulb is the one you pictured... I could use the one you made... the one I have is a 5 SMD LED 194 bulb with the metal hooks bent out, and the metal braket for the bulb bent in and shoved back in the roof... it's pretty ghetto but it works.

haha i could always make you one and ship it over.

nice job. pictures do not do it justice on how small those are, or how much light they put out. do you have enough room in the dome light to fill it all with the leds? the light output would give you a suntan, but it too would be worth it. can i suggest something? shave the domes off the outward leds. it will scatter the light, and make it act more like a regular bulb, but shouldn't effect the light brightness.

sounds good. i did that with my explorer ones in the front for a few of them but didnt think to do it for these ones. good idea :p
pictures definitely dont do justice, i was looking at MustangP51's write up and im like those look pretty big, i got around to doing all of it and its not that big at all.

Back