• Register Today It's free!

LED Display

AGR251

Reaction score
City, State
Nashville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 E.B.
If anyone has any ideas on what to do when your radio display goes out, but still plays music, I NEED HELP!!!!

It is for a '99 Eddie Bauer 4x4

Also, my rear sub has not worked in over a year, any suggestions

please respond to quebert922@aol.com I really want to get this stuff resolved.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is this for the factory stereo? If so, I would replace it with aftermarket or look on eBay for a stock replacement. If it is an aftermarket I would call the company but if you are out of warantee you are pretty much screwed (unless you can take it apart and find a loose wire).

Based on a post by another person with a similar problem I contacted Pioneer who actually manufactured the radio that is in the Explorer's with the display problem. The parts number is (800)421-1404. Just follow the prompts until you get to the parts dept. The component you are looking for is called a Compound Unit. My radio's Ford Part number is YLZF-18C868-CA, in smaller print below you will see the Pioneer number, which is what you need. Mine is FH-2076ZF. At first they weren't sure what I needed, so I listed the part number that another poster had used and they where able to figure out what I needed. If asked, you should be able to tell them Compound unit for your model of radio and be good to go. The part number for mine is HWM0043. Evidently this is the 3rd substitute part for that radio which leads me to beleive its been improved upon a few times. Price of the part was about $88, worked out to $101.30 with two day shipping. I should have the parts on Friday and I will post my results then. If I have time I'll post some pictures of what I did and what the new vs old parts look like. Keeping in mind I've already resoldered them a few times.

http://cyberwebwerx.com/explorer

Do a search on 'radio repair' on here and you'll find a wealth of info on what you seek. I have repaired mine myself and its been working constantly for years now using the said info. The connector may come loose at the back of the radio for he sub. You'll have to remove the entire side interior panel to check on the sub if the problem is not at the back of the radio.
Good luck!

All the LED lights have forward voltage of about 3.2V and are connected in Series. Chip boad failures means its just one or two LEDs have failed, causing entire board to not glow. To test the Failed chip, You simply plug in your LED panel and short each individual LED chip. Shorting a Failed LED chip will cause board to start glowing sans the faulty chip.

Other Safer method is to use a small 3v Power source (Like 2x AA batteries) and hook up Thin probles to the output. You can then test each LED using the 3v power.

Highlight any Dead LED chips. I have used a red Marker for the same.

Back