• Register Today It's free!

LED exterior bulbs?

metal4life

Reaction score
City, State
Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer Sport
So I'm thinking about upgrading to LED 3156 and 3157a bulbs on my truck. However, as I was installing new clear headlights, I happened to damage one of the front turn signal bulbs. As a result, my left signal wouldn't stay on, which led me to believe that if I added LEDs, the resistance would be too low to operate. I assumed perhaps if I left one filament bulb in on each side, the LEDs would be fine since there's like 3 bulbs total per side that blink. Will the flasher relay operate without the FULL load of 3 bulbs? What sucks is I already ordered the LEDs.

I know a resistor would work, but frankly I'd rather just use good filament bulbs than bother hacking into wiring to add resistors. Or are there relays made FOR low-load applications?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I'm thinking about upgrading to LED 3156 and 3157a bulbs on my truck. However, as I was installing new clear headlights, I happened to damage one of the front turn signal bulbs. As a result, my left signal wouldn't stay on, which led me to believe that if I added LEDs, the resistance would be too low to operate. I assumed perhaps if I left one filament bulb in on each side, the LEDs would be fine since there's like 3 bulbs total per side that blink. Will the flasher relay operate without the FULL load of 3 bulbs? What sucks is I already ordered the LEDs.

I know a resistor would work, but frankly I'd rather just use good filament bulbs than bother hacking into wiring to add resistors. Or are there relays made FOR low-load applications?

maybe i am just not completly getting your questions. but i bought and installed the 3157 taillight bulbs and i have no problems with them at all. with the lower current

they make flasher relays that go in place of your regular flasher relay that is made specifically for the use of LED bulbs. Lots of people go this route. just a simple search on this site will give you info and an ebay search will give you the flasher you need.

Good luck! and post some pics when youre done!

I did the flasher relay thing. Works like a charm! 12.99 on superbrightleds.com. ep27l dont use eBay.

Resistors are not that bad.... I am running resistors on the switchback LED turn signals in the fronts. I zip tied them to a good spot and used the little connectors they sent me which did not require cutting wires (forgot the name for them) and I was done within five minutes for each. No big.

Back