LED fog lamp upgrade? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED fog lamp upgrade?

Ended up going with the ZEVO kit off Amazon. Does not have near the light output the SLF had but the color temp is spot on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've been running my $30/pair Amazon LED bulbs for 4 years in my 2016 Sport without issue. Matches the LED low beams. Took less than 5 minutes to install.

Is a clear or yellow LED bulb preferable for a replacement on a stock '13 XLT with the clear OEM fog lights? I live on a foggy coast so every improvement to deal with foggy night driving helps.

All the 5th and 6th gen Explorers come with white fog lamps. There are many articles on this topic but as the 3rd link mentions, the proper location and beam is the most important. Several members have changed their bulbs so as to make them useless as 'fog lamps' and are instead now 'driving lights'.
Yellow vs. White Fog Lights: Make a Better Decision for Brighter Light
Are Yellow Fog Lights Better? Discuss.
Selective yellow Vs. White Fog light, which color is the best on the road?-Headlights | Fog lights | Auto Parts GENPLUS

Peter

Thanks for the links re. yellow vs white lights for fog. I guess my question was more about the use of a yellow bulb in a fog light housing that came with a clear / white bulb. I want to go with LEDs and can't decide if yellow would improve or degrade overall performance in an OEM fog light housing.

Thanks for the links re. yellow vs white lights for fog. I guess my question was more about the use of a yellow bulb in a fog light housing that came with a clear / white bulb. I want to go with LEDs and can't decide if yellow would improve or degrade overall performance in an OEM fog light housing.
I would think the links would apply since the bulb determines the colour of the light.

Peter

I would think the links would apply since the bulb determines the colour of the light.

Peter
Got it, thanks. I THINK I'll go with the clear / white LED bulb conversion for both headlights and fog lights.

On other threads from 2017/18 there was a lot of posted concerns about using LED's in Halogen housings and that actual light output would decrease due to focusing, etc. With the newer LED plug and play bulb replacements is this still a factor? I searched but didn't see anything post 2018 regarding the housing issue. I live in a foggy coastal area and need as good of a headlight and foglight as I can manage.

Read 15 or so pages here so far on using LEDs in Halogen housings. I think I may give them a try.

Only run Diode Dynamics SLF bulbs in white or yellow or DD Luxeon full LED housings if you want only white.

I've read several threads here and in other areas online, etc. re. fog lights. Living on the west coast in a beach town fog lights are a big issue out here. I previously added Unity brand fog lights on a Westin bull bar on my Ex. They were installed by the shop that does our patrol cars and are white, specifically engineered for fog. On those especially foggy nights they really penetrate and are aimed down low.

Re. the built in fog lights I had a question that my searches did not answer re. the OEM foglight lenses on my '13. They are not shiny / clear but I bought my car used and probably paid no attention to the foglight lenses until recently. Are they supposed to be shiny and clear like a headlight lens or are they deliberately not clear? If they are supposed to be clear, is it a better investment (time and money) to replace the lenses or have them polished out? Any info appreciated.

Fog&Headlights.jpg

Hey Eltee, I am pretty sure the fog light lenses are suppose to be clear. They are anyway on my '15. If you have some car wax, I would try that first to see if it cleans up the lenses. I have a buddy that has a 2005 Santa Fe and his headlight lenses always cloud up. I help him with oil changes, so every time we change his oil, I hit his headlights with some turtle wax and that cleans the lenses pretty well. I actually hit both my headlight housings and fog lights with wax every 3 months just to keep them from clouding up as the sun is really hard on clear plastics here in Phoenix.

THANKS, I'll try to clear them up.

Hey Eltee, I am pretty sure the fog light lenses are suppose to be clear. They are anyway on my '15. If you have some car wax, I would try that first to see if it cleans up the lenses. I have a buddy that has a 2005 Santa Fe and his headlight lenses always cloud up. I help him with oil changes, so every time we change his oil, I hit his headlights with some turtle wax and that cleans the lenses pretty well. I actually hit both my headlight housings and fog lights with wax every 3 months just to keep them from clouding up as the sun is really hard on clear plastics here in Phoenix.

Technology may have come a long way but we still need to make our decision by considering the natural factor: weather. Driving on a foggy road is dangerous and it is known to be the cause of several fatal road accidents. Fog is actually a cloud formed at the surface of the earth. It consists of tiny water droplets or ice particles that are created when temperatures fall. Now, driving cautiously, using windshield wipers and paying undivided attention on the road is not enough. You need the right kind of fog lights to deal with the issue.
Yellow color hits the retina at the right point. It is easy for us to process it. And, that’s why fog lights with yellow color are preferred by car drivers, especially in bad weather conditions. Yellow color is less frustrating for the eyes than blue or white shades. The purpose behind using selective yellow light is to improve the visibility.
During fog, water droplets often act as mirrors and reflect the light generated by the car back into the driver’s eye. And, it makes driving in fog a real driving hazard. Many car buyers believe that yellow lights penetrate fog better. White light against the snow or fog can be glaring for the eyes and it can make you tired soon. When you are driving through snowy roads, the white lights can tire you as well.

Back