LED Halos for fog lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED Halos for fog lights

Figured I'd put this here for anyone interested in maybe getting some LED halos, got these from superbrightleds.com, real cheap, easy to install, and just fun to mess around with. I got them in the 80mm size and they fit perfectly in the area for the fog lights. The kit comes with the halos, the wiring, RGB control box, and remote, and I got the diffusor lens covers for them and just put them on the outside of my fog lights. It's nothing fancy, it's not everyone's cup of tea and I don't expect them to be indestructible or work forever but for now it gets a bunch of looks while it's parked and it was a quick fun thing to do.

Here's where you can look at the kit and all that good stuff:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ed-angel-eye-headlight-accent-light-kits/628/

And here's just pics that I got of red and green, you can put it on any color and there's a few different modes on the remote

IMG_1508_zpse26814bd.jpg

IMG_1509_zps101c3abd.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks nice, can they be controlled independently and do they strobe?

Make sure they're covered up good cause they aren't weatherproof..
Also, don't make them anything other than white or yellow on the road or prepare for a nice ticket.

Looks nice, can they be controlled independently and do they strobe?

Make sure they're covered up good cause they aren't weatherproof..
Also, don't make them anything other than white or yellow on the road or prepare for a nice ticket.

Not independently, all the function on the remote just control both of them at the same time. There is a function for strobe that uses the white color, but it doesn't strobe very fast, more of like a fast heartbeat kind of look. There is a button that says "flash" that is more of a quick strobe through all of the colors.

As far as waterproofing I put silicone around any area that water could get into wires and around the control box and wrapped the connections in electrical tape too. Still trying to figure out what to do about the IR sensor, because that has to be in the line of sight of the remote, meaning no matter what it will get water and I don't know how that will hold up?

My one complaint besides not coming waterproofed in the box is that the last button on the remote saying "smooth" is supposed to slowly fade through all of the colors, but mine does the same thing as the button that says "flash" which is the strobe through all of the colors. But, this is a $35 kit, not some $300 oracles and I can live with that.

As far as the colors I just have those on when I'm parked anywhere, that's the great thing being LEDs that I just leave them on whenever. I don't drive with blue or red but in my college town people drive around all the time with different colored halos, light bars on, bunch of stuff like that so I'm not too worried about driving with them on some of the other odd colors.

looks great! Especially, for only $35! might have to pick one up myself!

TGtrac05- is the install as easy as it looks? it seems like you literally just plug the connections from the lights into the connections on the power box, and they work...

Do you have pics of where you have the wires and power box running? And obviously I can take a measurement after work, but do you know if the 80mm size would also work on a 1999 X? I would most like to see where you have everything wired to, to ensure that it works, since you said the sensor has to be in line of sight with the remote. Thanks!!

TGtrac05- is the install as easy as it looks? it seems like you literally just plug the connections from the lights into the connections on the power box, and they work...

Do you have pics of where you have the wires and power box running? And obviously I can take a measurement after work, but do you know if the 80mm size would also work on a 1999 X? I would most like to see where you have everything wired to, to ensure that it works, since you said the sensor has to be in line of sight with the remote. Thanks!!

It was really easy as far as mounting them up, in my bumper there was a perfect amount of space where the foglight is to slide in that little clip attached to the halos so that I could run the rest of the wiring up into the engine bay.

Alright so keep in mind that this is more of a temporary setup, it's not the prettiest, but it works for right now just fine. But just putting it out there before anyone says anything haha

Here is the halo, fits perfect over the light (sorry I don't know about if it would be good for the 99, but my guess is yes). By the way I just used an epoxy type of glue and put it right on the foglight. Buy the diffused lens covers that are sold separately by superbright, they're like $2.
IMG_1531_zps758f0109.jpg

Here is the inside of the bumper, where the fog light is. You can see where the wiring comes from the halo, then it is connected to the clip that goes to the control box. (I'll get this all covered up better too)
IMG_1533_zps5fdc5884.jpg

Both halos are clipped in and this is the wire that connects them, which also runs to the control box.
IMG_1534_zpsee8300e3.jpg

Here is the wire going into the engine bay, you can also see the corroded negative terminal, the positive is waaayyy worse.
IMG_1537_zpsb8feab4f.jpg

Ok here is where my control box is mounted with some 3M double sided tape, make sure you put silicone around any openings, the kit isn't waterproof. The wiring in the kit will NOT let you mount the box this far back, I used some extra wire to extend it back here because I had to run my wiring through the firewall. The wiring that comes with the kit will let you wire to the battery, and mount the control box somewhere at the front of the truck, and then you could put your sensor in the grill or something. (My plan all along)
IMG_1538_zps1358494b.jpg

Here is where the sensor is coming from the control box. The thing is tiny, it's like a little speck so you really can't notice it, but still I know it looks like crap and I hate not having a clean look so this will be moved.
IMG_1536_zps8a208aff.jpg

And then here where it is temporarily wired into. Just one of those cigarette lighter adapters because I want the power to be always on since I have these lights on when I'm parked.
IMG_1535_zps85a40c8c.jpg

I guess to sum up, this could have been a whole lot easier and cleaner than the way I have it. So for $35, yes I would definitely recommend it. It would take no time at all to install, not a lot of wiring to have showing, and it's a neat thing to have.

I definitely like it and think it looks real good! I will be taking a measurement tonight of my fog lights to see if 80mm will work on mine too... I was also thinking about getting a set for my motorcycle (1981 Honda CM400C) which just has 1 headlight... I think it would look awesome on there too... but the rings on this might be too small... we will see tonight once I can take a look after work! Thank you!

Thanks, I like them a lot. I really want the oracle kit for the headlights but don't want to deal with opening up the lights and spending $300 on halos for a truck I won't have that much longer. Glad I found this kit though. I leave them on a different color every night and it confuses the hell out of some people haha

haha nice! I just measured my fog lights... seems like the actual opening is just over 90mm. I think I will be ordering that size... even though it makes me a tiny bit nervous it will be too big with the clear cover added on

Problem with the 90mm is they only sell the lens covers for the 60 and 80mm. The opening of mine was closer to 90 too but these filled it well. Or you can see if anyone else sells the covers for 90mm

Problem with the 90mm is they only sell the lens covers for the 60 and 80mm. The opening of mine was closer to 90 too but these filled it well. Or you can see if anyone else sells the covers for 90mm

Any update on how these are doing? Any issues with water getting to them and messing anything up?

I was going to say, without installing the LEDs INSIDE the light, you're likely to have significant trouble. It's not too hard to do, bake in the oven at 200. Won't melt plastic just heat up epoxy so you can open. See youtube for good how-tos.

I was going to say, without installing the LEDs INSIDE the light, you're likely to have significant trouble. It's not too hard to do, bake in the oven at 200. Won't melt plastic just heat up epoxy so you can open. See youtube for good how-tos.

Yeah, I just did these for a quick deal to see how I liked it since I was previously looking at having oracles installed in the headlights. One of my fog light lenses is cracked so If I was going to open them up I'd just get new fog lights. The halos are fine, but I'm actually about to take out the fog lights completely and replace them with some rigid D2's (or less expensive equivalent). I've had my fun with the halos so I'll go with the simple change to D2s where I can just tap into the factory fog light wiring. I change my mind on truck parts weekly lol

TG... Well, if you're just gonna dump the halos.... I may know someone who might wanna try em out... ;). Ha

Fogs

Do you need to have regulare fogs before installing these?

Do you need to have regulare fogs before installing these?

If you just wanted the halos, no you wouldn't need to have foglights because I didn't use any foglight wiring to hook those up. Or anywhere for that matter. Lights that you want to be able to turn on whenever you can just wire straight to the battery. They just look more natural with fogs

Thanks!

Back