• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

LED headlight bulbs error message

davidmmm69

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
2010 Ford Explorer V6 Fall River Ma...
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mercury Mountaineer
Thanks guys, I have been emailing the company back and forth. Im hoping they will send me the needed wire harness(s) needed to eliminate this error code. If not I'll find some on Amazon. Yes, I should have just purchased a more expensive LED that is error free bulbs. In the end it costs the same, just a pain to figure this out the hard way. No where on their description does it say you'll need the resistor harnesses, but I'll know for next time and hopefully everyone on here can benefit from my mix-up.
als bought the extra harness and still get the error messae on my 2010

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

RicanV84X4

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 XLT V8 4X4
So just to clarify nobody has found a CANBUS pigtail harness for running LED headlights that prevents the dash error messages?

94Eddie

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Mountaineer Premier
The headlights I have, Beamtech brand, from Amazon. They still give me a code error even after the company sent me a pigtail to eliminate the error. So I wouldn't recommend these if you are worried about getting the headlight error.
Honestly the error doesn't bother me, I hit a reset button and It goes away. The vision at night is worth it.

I just installed a set of headlight and foglight Beamtech LEDs. I got the error code that clears with a hit of the reset button. They are sending the pieces that will supposedly eliminate the error message. I am like you in that I will just hit the reset if they don't stop the error flash because the bulbs work amazingly well. Plus, you don't have to break the piggy bank to buy them. I just ordered a set of backup LED bulbs after seeing how well the front lamps work. The newer LEDs have been designed to mimic the halogen bulbs for light disbursement. Some bulbs need to be adjusted to insure the rotation of the LEDs are proper in the reflector housing. Mine went in as needed but some applications need to be tweaked. Next on my list is to start putting LEDs into the interior locations.

MotorCityFats13

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Flatrock MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer XLT 4.0L
So just to clarify nobody has found a CANBUS pigtail harness for running LED headlights that prevents the dash error messages?

search for "error headlight h13" and there are tons of options
the ones i bought from ebay work great

RicanV84X4

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 XLT V8 4X4
Well these ones for $18 from a high rated seller do not work for the record.

Screen Shot 2019-12-31 at 7.56.19 AM.png

Littleant

Reaction score
City, State
Orleans
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Mountaineer 4.0
Not to be a buzz kill or anything - but would like to remind everyone that your light housing was designed for incandescent bulbs to throw the light in the proper pattern - not only to allow you to see but also to prevent blinding other drivers. LED bulbs require a different housing to achieve the same results.
I see a lot of these 'retrofits' while out driving at night.
They aren't pleasant to encounter.
Maybe Explorers work well - I don't know. I'm sure it's different for various makes and models. But please pay attention to your fellow drivers - have a friend meet you on the road for an honest evaluation.
If people keep flashing their brights at you then please - take the hint.
1000% agree with EddyB. Have encountered them at night and many are blinding on low beam no less. I am sure they help to see better. I have seen them adjusted perfect and cause no issues for other drivers. So please adjust them so not to blind other drivers.

RicanV84X4

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 XLT V8 4X4
can you check the resistance of those units vs a working H13 bulb
I checked a bulb and it was 1.6 ohm

1.4 ohm is what they checked out at... Shocked that .2 makes a difference... Can you send a picture of the ones you purchased. Seems there are only 3 different styles for sale on eBay.

MotorCityFats13

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Flatrock MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer XLT 4.0L
1.4 ohm is what they checked out at... Shocked that .2 makes a difference... Can you send a picture of the ones you purchased. Seems there are only 3 different styles for sale on eBay.

the only variable that i can see is that you are trying to use led's and i use hid's

RicanV84X4

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 XLT V8 4X4
Just to follow up after trying multiple CANBUS load resistors to eliminate the dash error from eBay, the one from seller dt-autotech worked to eliminate the error on my LED headlights. Picture of this model is below. You definitely need a 6ohm resistor!

Screen Shot 2020-02-10 at 7.17.47 PM.png