LED headlight bulbs error message | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED headlight bulbs error message

Excise for being a criminal?

It's one thing when breaking the law only effects you but quite another when the result is blinding other people.

To state that someone else breaks the law in some other way, No! Where would that end, let's abandon all laws because someone else broke some other law?

It's really simple. If you can't drive at night, stay home after dark.

It is ridiculous that you pretend that your need to drive at night, somehow is tolerable versus the needs of everyone else to see without being blinded by illegal, excessive, lights.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pathetic excise for being a criminal.
Pathetic excuse for a response. I am sure you walk on water 24/7/365. Really? A criminal for headlight bulbs? What a sanctimonious attitude you seem to present to the world.

^ Excuses and negative replies do not make it any better, any less illegal, any less blinding.

What is this nonsense about "sanctimonious"? Yes, it is a moral higher ground not to cause problems for other people or break the law, the same could be said about nearly anything in life. Doing something once accidentally is different than deliberate planning and repeatedly doing it.

I want every vehicle running illegal headlights, stopped, seized, impounded, driver fined and if it happens again, vehicle forfeited. There is no excuse, if you can't see to drive at night then you don't drive at night.

The canbus adapters worked well on my Mountaineer. Once every 1-2 months I get the head lamp error and hit the reset button.
What adapter did you use?? Where I can get them??

^ Excuses and negative replies do not make it any better, any less illegal, any less blinding.

What is this nonsense about "sanctimonious"? Yes, it is a moral higher ground not to cause problems for other people or break the law, the same could be said about nearly anything in life. Doing something once accidentally is different than deliberate planning and repeatedly doing it.

I want every vehicle running illegal headlights, stopped, seized, impounded, driver fined and if it happens again, vehicle forfeited. There is no excuse, if you can't see to drive at night then you don't drive at night
What I find sanctimonious is you giving advice about bypassing the warning and not using an "external power wasting load resistor add-on" and then call a person a criminal for using LEDs. Maybe you were not doing this but this is how I took your response. Also, you paint every person using LED upgrades as selfish, uncaring individuals which I find disgusting. I live in a county where we have over 1,000 police officers. A person here can't go anywhere without running into one. At night, I have been behind them, passing them head on and driving by their speed traps for the past 18 months. Not one time have I been pulled over for blinding them. Also, I can't even recall getting flashed by an oncoming car for them perceiving my low beams being too bright. If I were being flashed then I would not use a bulb that bright. I went to great length to research LEDs and to use a bulb that located the LEDs to mimic the OEM bulb my vehicle uses. This makes the beam pattern essentially the same as the OEM bulb. As for the temperature of the LED, mine is no worse than what I see from newer vehicles.

Your attitude about LEDs is ridiculous, extreme and way over the top, IMO. If you had your way it seems I would be on the FBI's ten most wanted list. Did you really say you want a person's vehicle forfeited over using LED headlights? Do you know how radical and crazy that sounds?

What adapter did you use?? Where I can get them??
I don't know where they can be bought. They were sent to me by the company I bought the LEDs from when I contacted them about getting the dash warning. Look on Amazon for some that have a high rating.

I don't know where they can be bought. They were sent to me by the company I bought the LEDs from when I contacted them about getting the dash warning. Look on Amazon for some that have a high rating.
Thank you!

What I find sanctimonious is you giving advice about bypassing the warning and not using an "external power wasting load resistor add-on" and then call a person a criminal for using LEDs. Maybe you were not doing this but this is how I took your response. Also, you paint every person using LED upgrades as selfish, uncaring individuals which I find disgusting. I live in a county where we have over 1,000 police officers. A person here can't go anywhere without running into one. At night, I have been behind them, passing them head on and driving by their speed traps for the past 18 months. Not one time have I been pulled over for blinding them. Also, I can't even recall getting flashed by an oncoming car for them perceiving my low beams being too bright. If I were being flashed then I would not use a bulb that bright. I went to great length to research LEDs and to use a bulb that located the LEDs to mimic the OEM bulb my vehicle uses. This makes the beam pattern essentially the same as the OEM bulb. As for the temperature of the LED, mine is no worse than what I see from newer vehicles.

Your attitude about LEDs is ridiculous, extreme and way over the top, IMO. If you had your way it seems I would be on the FBI's ten most wanted list. Did you really say you want a person's vehicle forfeited over using LED headlights? Do you know how radical and crazy that sounds?
There are legitimate reasons to disable the warning, replacement housings designed for LED or HID being one example.

Yes a person is a criminal for using retrofit LED bulbs in incan housings. Whether you like this fact or not, does not change the legality, nor does it decrease blinding people.

Yes, everyone using them is selfish and uncaring if they either know they are illegal, or aren't so out of it (that they shouldn't be driving at all) to not recognize they are making it harder for other drivers to see.

If police aren't pulling you over for retrofit LEDs, they are incompetent, not doing their job and this must change. More and more people are complaining about these LED retrofits, don't think for a second that it's just me.

It is wrong to think you must be flashed if you are blinding people, on the contrary I don't bother to flash people because it is obvious that they're running illegal retrofit bulbs and there's nothing they can do about it at the time.

Locating the LEDs to mimic the OEM bulb isn't a solution, they must have a housing designed for them, without one they are illegal.

You fail to recognize that even if the beam were the exact same (which it isn't), there are still the two other problems which are that colder color temperature light is more glaring/blinding, and more light is too. If more light wasn't a problem, vehicles would have long ago just started using higher wattage incan bulbs and housings designed for the extra heat. It is very much about how much light escapes into the other lane or straight instead of down towards the road (when following behind people), there is no way to have the same beam with more light and not do that, instead the correct implementation uses a more narrowly focused custom housing designed for the specific LEDs, and they are usually not designed around retrofit bulbs.

My attitude is not ridiculous at all, it is the law and it is blinding other people. It is not radical or crazy at all, and you don't even realize that forfeiting the vehicle is the LEAST of what I want, staying within the law. If I wanted to be a criminal too, there would be vehicle damage and more. I consider it a worse offense to run the illegal bulbs than to bash out someone's headlights for using them.

Blinding people while driving has far worse consequences, to not just other motorists but also pedestrians struck by blinded drivers. Maybe I take it more personally because a friend of mine was struck and killed. Probably LED lights weren't to blame but when I get blinded by them, and others complain too, it is very obvious there is a problem. It is very much a life or death situation, but even if you don't care about people dying, let's get back to what started all this, that you don't like the fact that they are illegal. I started out only stating that fact (which some people don't realize) then you took issue with that or wanted to excuse it as if it's okay to break the law if someone else broke some other law.

There are legitimate reasons to disable the warning, replacement housings designed for LED or HID being one example.
I would give you a pass but you posted this information in a thread titled "LED headlight bulbs error message" in a forum for Stock 4th Gen Explorers/Mountaineers. Since you seem to apply an uncompromising standard of application of law, does this make your actions aiding and abetting criminals? What should the punishment be for your infraction?
Yes a person is a criminal for using retrofit LED bulbs in incan housings. Whether you like this fact or not, does not change the legality, nor does it decrease blinding people.

Yes, everyone using them is selfish and uncaring if they either know they are illegal, or aren't so out of it (that they shouldn't be driving at all) to not recognize they are making it harder for other drivers to see.

If police aren't pulling you over for retrofit LEDs, they are incompetent, not doing their job and this must change. More and more people are complaining about these LED retrofits, don't think for a second that it's just me.
So now you are calling our local police officers incompetent? Are they criminals too? Should our patrol officers be fired for not enforcing headlight laws to your standard. You know how they should do their jobs better than they, or their commanders? This is more of the sanctimonious behavior I have been referring to. Have you even considered that police officers don't see the use of LED headlights in most applications a non issue? I am sure police officers see an incredible number of violations of the law every day. Should they act on every violation they see? Should the headlight police come and arrest you for aiding and abetting these heinous LED headlight users? Is modifying a vehicle's electrical system to prevent warnings regarding the OEM lighting system legal? Considering the legal high standard you hold others to I assume you know these things.

Of course I am being hyperbolic with my above comments. However, when a person becomes radical in applying law and wishing for punishment that is ludicrous for the "crime" involved it is not good for society, in general. Police officers walk a line every day as to what they pursue regarding broken laws. Just maybe the use of LED headlights are not as problematic as you make it out to be.
It is wrong to think you must be flashed if you are blinding people, on the contrary I don't bother to flash people because it is obvious that they're running illegal retrofit bulbs and there's nothing they can do about it at the time.

Locating the LEDs to mimic the OEM bulb isn't a solution, they must have a housing designed for them, without one they are illegal.

You fail to recognize that even if the beam were the exact same (which it isn't), there are still the two other problems which are that colder color temperature light is more glaring/blinding, and more light is too. If more light wasn't a problem, vehicles would have long ago just started using higher wattage incan bulbs and housings designed for the extra heat. It is very much about how much light escapes into the other lane or straight instead of down towards the road (when following behind people), there is no way to have the same beam with more light and not do that, instead the correct implementation uses a more narrowly focused custom housing designed for the specific LEDs, and they are usually not designed around retrofit bulbs.

My attitude is not ridiculous at all, it is the law and it is blinding other people. It is not radical or crazy at all, and you don't even realize that forfeiting the vehicle is the LEAST of what I want, staying within the law. If I wanted to be a criminal too, there would be vehicle damage and more. I consider it a worse offense to run the illegal bulbs than to bash out someone's headlights for using them.

Blinding people while driving has far worse consequences, to not just other motorists but also pedestrians struck by blinded drivers. Maybe I take it more personally because a friend of mine was struck and killed. Probably LED lights weren't to blame but when I get blinded by them, and others complain too, it is very obvious there is a problem. It is very much a life or death situation, but even if you don't care about people dying, let's get back to what started all this, that you don't like the fact that they are illegal. I started out only stating that fact (which some people don't realize) then you took issue with that or wanted to excuse it as if it's okay to break the law if someone else broke some other law.
If the use of LEDs were as problematic as you claim then the sale of them to replace the non OEM bulbs would be banned, police officers would be writing scores of tickets etc. From what is occurring in the real world the use of LEDs does not seem to be the raging crime or danger you make it out to be. If LEDs were causing a massive number of accidents there would be a serious effort to remove them from use. In reality, newer vehicles have headlights that are as bright, or brighter, than LED upgrade headlights based on my driving experience. The punitive measures you think should be applied for the use of LEDs is ridiculous. The way you paint a person using LEDs as being an uncaring, morally corrupt criminal is also rediculous and a good bit disturbing, IMO.

Feel free to respond but I have said all I need to say on this matter.

So now you are calling our local police officers incompetent? Are they criminals too? Should our patrol officers be fired for not enforcing headlight laws to your standard.

Yes, if they are not trained to recognize illegal headlights, or choose not to stop people, they are not doing their job. I can appreciate if they are short staffed and think other things take priority, but at the same time the first ticket will make many people reconsider whatever they were doing so it needs to be done.

You know how they should do their jobs better than they, or their commanders?

Yes, as a taxpaying citizen observing problems from illegal behavior, I have a legitimate gripe about it. If laws are not upheld, they become meaningless and shouldn't exist.

This is more of the sanctimonious behavior I have been referring to. Have you even considered that police officers don't see the use of LED headlights in most applications a non issue?

Certainly the worst offenders should be cited first. Can you accept that some lights are so bright as to be ridiculous? The thing is, that's not the legal distinction, doesn't matter how bright they are or aren't, and as soon as you let one person do it, the next one states theirs are about the same (yet are brighter) and the next also, about the same (yet brighter still).

I am sure police officers see an incredible number of violations of the law every day. Should they act on every violation they see? Should the headlight police come and arrest you for aiding and abetting these heinous LED headlight users?

Yes, if there is a law against showing people how to disable their headlight warning circuit, then I accept responsibility, would GLADLY be cited and pay a fine, if likewise it meant that everyone running the illegal LED retrofits, were also fined.

Of course I am being hyperbolic with my above comments. However, when a person becomes radical in applying law and wishing for punishment that is ludicrous for the "crime" involved it is not good for society, in general. Police officers walk a line every day as to what they pursue regarding broken laws. Just maybe the use of LED headlights are not as problematic as you make it out to be.

It's not radical at all to be cited for a vehicle violation, especially one that reduces safety. The LED headlight problem is getting worse not better, so it is more likely that they are more problematic than you realize.

If the use of LEDs were as problematic as you claim then the sale of them to replace the non OEM bulbs would be banned, police officers would be writing scores of tickets etc. From what is occurring in the real world the use of LEDs does not seem to be the raging crime or danger you make it out to be. If LEDs were causing a massive number of accidents there would be a serious effort to remove them from use. In reality, newer vehicles have headlights that are as bright, or brighter, than LED upgrade headlights based on my driving experience. The punitive measures you think should be applied for the use of LEDs is ridiculous. The way you paint a person using LEDs as being an uncaring, morally corrupt criminal is also rediculous and a good bit disturbing, IMO.

Feel free to respond but I have said all I need to say on this matter.

Newer vehicles with LED headlights do not use LED retrofits, and have housings designed to better focus the beam than a retrofit in an incan housing. I'm not opposed to a properly designed housing mated with the LED(s) it was designed for.

The sale of LED retrofits is banned, prohibited, however you want to put it, but that is not enforced which comes back to inadequate law enforcement. Didn't you ever wonder why none of the major 1st world bulb manufacturers, make LED retrofit headlight bulbs, despite making retrofits for most other bulbs?

In any case where an LED retrofit bulb improves vision for the driver, to that extent it is also increasingly blinding other drivers. Yes, that is an uncaring selfish choice, and whether you like a law or not, if you break it, repeatedly, and have no intention of stopping, then criminal seems like as good a word as any to use for it. What word do you feel is more appropriate for that scenario?

It is not disturbing at all to expect people to avoid causing a safety problem on public roads. It is disturbing that you can't accept it for what it is, after so many people have already been blinded by them, and since they're illegal which should be a show stopper all by itself.

The punitive measures are exactly right if we want to be nice to offenders. A citation and fine for the first offense is better than most safety related violations which require that the vehicle not be allowed to drive away at all, instead must be towed or in the case of headlights, left until daylight hours to drive, unless the driver happens to have legal bulbs with them that they can get installed before the tow truck arrives. It wouldn't surprise me the slightest bit if an illegal headlight stop did result in the vehicle being towed the first time.

If you have a problem with laws being enforced and feel the law shouldn't exist, petition your government rep to change the law but until then, it should be enforced, and every time I get blinded by someone, I'm reminded why.

Quit.
Now.
Points have been made - neither of you will convince the other.
Your arguments are out there available for all to consider.

This is how forums go sideways and it never ends well. Don't let your hubris drag this forum down - don't make endless arguments acceptable here.

No one that matters was keeping score so - quit.

Quit.
Now.
Points have been made - neither of you will convince the other.
Your arguments are out there available for all to consider.

This is how forums go sideways and it never ends well. Don't let your hubris drag this forum down - don't make endless arguments acceptable here.

No one that matters was keeping score so - quit.
With all due respect, you aren't making anything better with your rant added in.

Did you have to add a resistor with your bulbs?

I want every vehicle running illegal headlights, stopped, seized, impounded, driver fined and if it happens again, vehicle forfeited. There is no excuse, if you can't see to drive at night then you don't drive at night.

**** fire, we've got ourselves a Karen...

My rides have LEDs in 'em. You're welcome as hell to come over and do something about it. Bring a friend...you may need help leaving. ;)

^ I'm sure that citizens who are fed up with your lights, will schedule an appointment with you at home to take care of that. Ever consider that since we don't live near each other, it's not me you have to worry about, rather the person you don't see coming.

Don't know about your neck of the woods, around here, people like me (farm owners and the like - you could call me a country boy), we tend to go around well heeled, that is....if someone wants to try to rough me up, well, sir, they will be for a bit of shock and awe.

And no, my LED headlights aren't super bright, and nor do mine give an error message, on any of my vehicles.

So again, take your keyboard cop wannabe ass and sit down and watch my little pony and quit worrying about people that you'll never see on the road.

And...for what it's worth..I have horrid light sensitivity and yet, very few LED headlights bother me. Maybe you're just a wimp?

^ A mature person is more likely to make sacrifices for the good of everyone, than to go the opposite direction to make effort to cause problems for others, then not man up and accept it for what it is instead of attempted/failing insults.

If your lights aren't glaring enough to bother anyone then what do you have to worry about, except the only thing I initially stated, which was that they're illegal? I can see that we're both wasting our time so I've said my piece and will stop posting... but that doesn't at all decrease the problems you may encounter because society is getting very pissed off about this, and if you try to handle this in real life like you just did on this forum with insults, you're going to escalate the situation because most people don't have skin as thick as mine.

Maybe I should complain about all the people I see driving in the hammer lane.
Or those who speed, running 10-15 over the limit.
Or those who drive at dusk with no lights on, or in the rain with no lights on.
Maybe I should complain about those folks with missing or rotted exhausts.

There's lots to complain about, vehicle wise.

Unless you're gonna post up factual statistics that illegal LED headlights have caused wrecks and blindness in people, you're just *****ing about something that you honestly have a snowball's chance in hell of solving.

However, all the things I mentioned above save for exhaust HAVE caused wrecks. So.....I guess as you say, we're at impasse.

Call the cops about illegal lights when ya see 'em, I suppose. Because LEOs have nothing better to do..

You have yourself a real *****in' weekend. :)

Maybe I should complain about all the people I see driving in the hammer lane.
Or those who speed, running 10-15 over the limit.
Or those who drive at dusk with no lights on, or in the rain with no lights on.
Maybe I should complain about those folks with missing or rotted exhausts.

If you feel that this is endangering others, on a case by case basis, how is it even a question about whether you should? This is not some line in the sand, rather you know dangerous behavior when you see it, including blinding illegal headlights... but at the same time, everyone needs to recognize that they are illegal, so you take your chances and please think about it, since there is no case where they improve vision without blinding other people more. There is no getting around that.

I can’t believe the self righteousness in this thread. I thought I found a forum without the ‘drama’.

I digress.

In my area, if I called the police to report illegal LED bulbs they would hang up on me. I’m fine with that, I’d rather they keep tabs on the drug dealers and gang bangers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The canbus adapters worked well on my Mountaineer. Once every 1-2 months I get the head lamp error and hit the reset button.
Hi Eddie just wondering which brand decoder canbus did you buy and from what website please help thank you

Back