• Register Today It's free!

LED headlight bulbs error message

08harleyf350

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer EB
I installed some Beamtech LED headlight bulbs from Amazon today in my 2007 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer. On my way to work I got a headlight left and headlight right error message on my information display.
Has anyone else had this message come up with LED bulb installation and if so, what did you do to correct it?
I keep reading the LED bulbs don't draw enough voltage as the regular Halogen bulbs do, so that sends an indication to the computer informing you might have a headlight out.
Any information you guys can provide would be great!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd assume you'd have to add a load or resistance to the circuit to correct this. Better LEDs have these built in, or you can buy external 'warning cancellers'

It's actually the amperage load that the computer is monitoring, but you have the correct idea. As was already explained there are options to add a resistance load to each headlight wiring, but it has always been a peeve of mine to invest in a new technology that works using only a small percentage of the energy of a traditional device, only to then have to add a dummy load to the circuit to four or computer into thinking everything is OK which brings your net energy consumption back up to where it was with the bulb you just removed. I'll bet it looks pretty cool though! Pictures?

Thanks guys, I have been emailing the company back and forth. Im hoping they will send me the needed wire harness(s) needed to eliminate this error code. If not I'll find some on Amazon. Yes, I should have just purchased a more expensive LED that is error free bulbs. In the end it costs the same, just a pain to figure this out the hard way. No where on their description does it say you'll need the resistor harnesses, but I'll know for next time and hopefully everyone on here can benefit from my mix-up.

Here is a pic of low beam LED along with LED fog lights. It is very bright, no flickering issues. BEAMTECH is sending me a decoder for the LED headlights to hopefully eliminate the error message on my information display.
IMG_20171018_201133226_zpswbtdlvzk.jpg

Here is my 2007 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer.
IMG_20170924_122657_871_zpswevuhcs0.jpg

What LED bulbs did you use ?

I need to improve my headlights, they are pathetic :(

Wow they look bright. Is the base getting hot on these LED's. People think they are cool and low current. Wrong still need lots of amps but more lumens generated.

What LED bulbs did you use ?

I need to improve my headlights, they are pathetic :(

I used Amazon, a company called Beamtech for the headlights.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06X...ight+bulbs&dpPl=1&dpID=51TrN8JdGvL&ref=plSrch

Fog lights are LED as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0716XZ7NZ/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They seem to be good so far, no flickering at all. I haven't checked how hot they are getting, but hopefully not hot enough to melt any wiring.

IMG_20171016_192703394_zpsyqrd7txa.jpg

IMG_20171016_192657801_zpsklwfafli.jpg

Here are a few pics of just the LED fog lights, the headlights are halogen in these pics.

Not to be a buzz kill or anything - but would like to remind everyone that your light housing was designed for incandescent bulbs to throw the light in the proper pattern - not only to allow you to see but also to prevent blinding other drivers. LED bulbs require a different housing to achieve the same results.
I see a lot of these 'retrofits' while out driving at night.
They aren't pleasant to encounter.
Maybe Explorers work well - I don't know. I'm sure it's different for various makes and models. But please pay attention to your fellow drivers - have a friend meet you on the road for an honest evaluation.
If people keep flashing their brights at you then please - take the hint.

I installed some Beamtech LED headlight bulbs from Amazon today in my 2007 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer. On my way to work I got a headlight left and headlight right error message on my information display.
Has anyone else had this message come up with LED bulb installation and if so, what did you do to correct it?
I keep reading the LED bulbs don't draw enough voltage as the regular Halogen bulbs do, so that sends an indication to the computer informing you might have a headlight out.
Any information you guys can provide would be great!
I had that problem, but installed the canbus decoder and all good now

Ive also heard from electricians that the system does not look for amperage its actually looking for a completed circuit and diodes only flow current in 1 direction so the completed circuit cant be detected same goes with HID kits

on another topic.... if a halogen bulb emits light from basically from 360 degree pattern then all bulbs that emit light from 360 degree pattern work in all housings that use bulbs that emit light from a 360 degree pattern, many halogen bulbs have paint on the tip so light is blocked from that location like other bulbs...... I see it as long as they dont put out more light how can they blind people? other than the fact that it is illegal to modify a safety device I have never been "flashed" for my headlights all the way from 100watt halogens to 55watt HID's

Projection lamp headlight fixture will control HID and LED a lot better than any open reflector type design. The light emitted is shape with reflector to emit out the magnifying glass type lens they seem to have at the outside. The source light point need to be in a certain depth to reflect properly. Too far back or forward the beam is not manage very well. I am sure many open reflectors we see HID or LED used in are what we being partially blinded by. Seeing the road in front is somewhat impossible until the vehicle passes and our own beams take over again. If something were happing before that vehicle passed its unlikely we'd see or even know before hitting something. Whether a Racoon, skunk or even deer, bang she goes down and that's it. If some dumb ass decides to step on a highway at night and expect to be seen. Well something wrong upstairs its their life. I see it now and then but most get out of the way in time.

Thanks guys, I have been emailing the company back and forth. Im hoping they will send me the needed wire harness(s) needed to eliminate this error code. If not I'll find some on Amazon. Yes, I should have just purchased a more expensive LED that is error free bulbs. In the end it costs the same, just a pain to figure this out the hard way. No where on their description does it say you'll need the resistor harnesses, but I'll know for next time and hopefully everyone on here can benefit from my mix-up.
I have a 2006 Ford Explorer with the same problem. What brand/model number LED headlights did you buy that had everything built in?

I have a 2006 Ford Explorer with the same problem. What brand/model number LED headlights did you buy that had everything built in?
The headlights I have, Beamtech brand, from Amazon. They still give me a code error even after the company sent me a pigtail to eliminate the error. So I wouldn't recommend these if you are worried about getting the headlight error.
Honestly the error doesn't bother me, I hit a reset button and It goes away. The vision at night is worth it.

The deeper I look into LED headlights, the more leery I get about them. Thinking HID might still be the way to go for me? From what I understand, the reflector housing in our generation Explorer doesn't create the "blasting oncoming traffic with stray light patters" effect many do. That and their light output and reliability still seems superior by comparison....with the cost being about the same when you factor in a "quality" LED kit.

Guess we'll have to see what Santa brings?

The deeper I look into LED headlights, the more leery I get about them. Thinking HID might still be the way to go for me? From what I understand, the reflector housing in our generation Explorer doesn't create the "blasting oncoming traffic with stray light patters" effect many do. That and their light output and reliability still seems superior by comparison....with the cost being about the same when you factor in a "quality" LED kit.

Guess we'll have to see what Santa brings?

or better yet get the not so high quality hid kit..... I love my cheap low quality 55watt kits and you cant beat fogs and headlights for $20 a set

my purchase history is too old to show a link but my headlight H13 and fog light H10's were both $18.99 a pair..... I just did a search for 55w 8000k hid kit US seller lowest price and bought from the highest rated sellers.... most of the time its all the same kits and sellers run out and I have to find different sellers all the time... the headlights I bought were the single HID with the magnetic high beam so I bought new H13 9008 Male Pigtails

2x 9008 H13 Male Headlight Repair Wiring Socket Extension Harness | eBay

and ditched the horrible relay setup they came with and wired these

2 pcs HID Flicker Error Warning Canceller Canbus Capacitors Computer Decoder | eBay

inline but deleted the high beam wire because it really did suck and I never use highs anyway.... I only get errors if I flash my highs... you can avoid this by looking for bi-xenon kits that have a simple halogen bulb for the highs and they will give no errors

ended up being way cleaner than designed and they are not hooked up to the battery and are now completely plug and play, foglights need nothing special and come plug and play

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back