LED Headlight Conversions | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SO with all you experienced xploder guys do you think the LEDs are on par or above HIDs at this point? I did the HID conversion and love em but if the LEDs are brighter I could be convinced to move on perhaps..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello everyone I'm new to this I just bought yesterday a 2013 Ford Explorer Sport and I'm not sure should I go hid or LED and what are the pros and cons of both of them thanks in advance

Hello everyone I'm new to this I just bought yesterday a 2013 Ford Explorer Sport and I'm not sure should I go hid or LED and what are the pros and cons of both of them thanks in advance
Whatever you decide keep in mind the following;
Headlight reflectors and lenses are designed for a bulb of a specific output, size and shape. Altering any one of those elements may result in a different beam pattern that could stun, blind and annoy other road users.
http://www.caradvice.com.au/278125/headlights-explained-halogen-v-hid-v-led-v-laser/
A proper conversion to HID would entail changing the entire housing in order to get a perfect focus which impossible with just a plug and play kit since the Halogen projector wasn't designed for HID bulbs. LED housing are made of a stronger and more durable material to withstand the heat generated at the base of the bulb.

Peter

Italianjob.. Peter is absolutely correct done wrong and done right will make a huge difference for you but MORE importantly others coming at you.. We did a Diode Dynamics HID conversion to the 2015 reflectors ( to peters point NOT designed for HID) however we rotated the bulbs to the directions of DD and are very pleased over the last 2 yrs.. ( YES I have toyed with thoughts of LED) only because I am a tinkerer. I do do worry about what I do having an effect on others.. SO done right yes can be done without maga expense. DD were very affordable.

SO with all you experienced xploder guys do you think the LEDs are on par or above HIDs at this point? I did the HID conversion and love em but if the LEDs are brighter I could be convinced to move on perhaps..
Operationally the led are far superior.

If I'm not mistaken, the 2017 explorers have separate bulbs for low beam & high beam. If that is correct, when I make this switch, I need to purchase the ones that only have 1 "beam".....correct?

They have for many years, correct process is to look in OG or on line what your vehicle requires and buy that number.

Very pleased with result for my 2005 with dual LEDs, I got the newer technology 4 sided version.

They have for many years,..... .
The 2011 - 2015 Explorers only had had single bulb that was used for both low and high beam by way of a shutter that moved up for high and down for low. In 2016 they went to an LED low and halogen high beam.

Peter

Is there a way to tell if your vehicle is equipped with can bus? If it is, doesn't that mean that you can't just plug in a new LED bulb without installing all of the extras that come with the conversion kit?

I picked up a 2017 Explorer for a work vehicle yesterday. I was pretty upset it didn't come stock with a garage door opener. Also, I want to replace the high beam with an LED bulb, but there doesn't appear to be much room. Has anyone done this? And, if so, can you post some pictures of your install?

Are you getting a display on the Sync screen?

Peter

I have had the Diode HID conversion on my sport since I purchased it. The halogens just don't cut it as we all know. Easy install, great product, customer care. I have had issues with the ballasts and have changed at least three now. I am currently waiting on two ballasts and leaning toward some LEDS and have been researching this thread and think I am going to convert to some OPT7 Fluxbeam X and call it a day. I may upgrade headlights while I am at it.
Factory Style Black Clear Reflector Lens Projector Headlight 11-15 Ford Explorer | eBay

I have had the Diode HID conversion on my sport since I purchased it. The halogens just don't cut it as we all know. Easy install, great product, customer care. I have had issues with the ballasts and have changed at least three now. I am currently waiting on two ballasts and leaning toward some LEDS and have been researching this thread and think I am going to convert to some OPT7 Fluxbeam X and call it a day. I may upgrade headlights while I am at it.
Factory Style Black Clear Reflector Lens Projector Headlight 11-15 Ford Explorer | eBay
Just purchased the Opt7 X and will report back when I receive them. I think there are a handful of users who already have converted to the previous generation (non-X) and have posted pictures. Would love to do a full HID conversion but if I can save $300+ and my time and get a comparable product (and more reliable) then I'll be happy. I do very little night driving and most is on already well lit roads (Los Angeles). Will later install a light bar or similar for backcountry driving where I'd like more light.

Just purchased the Opt7 X and will report back when I receive them.

How are the Op7 X's? Everything fit behind the dust cover or did you have to modify it?

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on some LED bulbs to replace the halogen in our 2015 - ideally something that fits unmodified behind the dust cover. Looks like the options are pretty limited and hard to tell which ones do or don't fit and I'd rather not have to buy, return, etc multiple times to get what fits.

Anyone else having luck with theirs?

Welcome to the Forum Rob.:wave:

Peter

How are the Op7 X's? Everything fit behind the dust cover or did you have to modify it?

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on some LED bulbs to replace the halogen in our 2015 - ideally something that fits unmodified behind the dust cover. Looks like the options are pretty limited and hard to tell which ones do or don't fit and I'd rather not have to buy, return, etc multiple times to get what fits.

Anyone else having luck with theirs?
I like them, however they do have some bloom in the stock projectors. You can fit them under the stock dust covers, but with the wire tail you pretty much have to cut a slit or leave the bottom portion of the cover not fully tight. I live in southern California so I'm not too concerned about leaving the covers partially off.

I like them, however they do have some bloom in the stock projectors. You can fit them under the stock dust covers, but with the wire tail you pretty much have to cut a slit or leave the bottom portion of the cover not fully tight. I live in southern California so I'm not too concerned about leaving the covers partially off.
So was it pretty much plug and play? And do you have a link to the same thing you got?

Alright, thanks for the update dead - since they don't completely fit under the cover I ordered some other ones that looks to be pretty compact and all in one. Once installed, and tested, I'll report back on fit, lighting, etc.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I purchased these 9005 LED's 3 weeks ago and highly recommend them to anyone who's considering replacing their miserable dangerously dim unsafe for driving and night fireflies in a jam jars stock halogen bulbs in their projector headlights.

Pros:
Amazingly bright, also a very minor con.
Totally plug and play, no cutting off tabs, no flicker or reverse polarity issues etc..
Cheaper than Silverstar Ultra halogens.
Dust covers fit perfectly, no cutting needed or wires sticking out.
Cut-offs seem very good, some light seep on the extreme far right side, but nothing on the left.
Not what I would consider a 'conversion' just a simple bulb swap.
I have not (yet) been flashed by any passing motorists.

Cons:
Amazingly bright (almost too bright)
Very slight blue hue, only just, but it's there.
You can now see how pitted my headlamp lens' are from stone chips.

Back