• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

LED HEADLIGHTS

Mr A

Reaction score
City, State
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
Well, I am either really dumb or just getting old. I have a 2015 Explorer Sport, V6. It has the stock halogen headlights. It is only one bulb for both hight/low beam (dual I guess you call them). I wanted to install LED bulbs, but have had a miserable time trying to find out which bulb is dual, led and a single bulb in each headlight. Stock number is 9005/HB3 and H11 for Fog Light. I have stopped at several auto stores to try and find out which bulb is the dual bulb for led and no-one can help me. They act like there is no bulb that fits. Either I am stupid or there is not an LED bulb that will work. I have even tried AMAZON to try and find the correct LED bulb but most say HIGH BEAM, not DUAL FOR HIGH/LOW.
Is there someone here that can tell me which bulb is LED, DUAL?????? TKS

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
If the headlamps in the 2015 operate the same as the ones I had in my 2011 Limited, then the bulb is a single filament. When on low beam, there is a shutter that covers part of the bulb. Switching to high beam raise that shutter. According to the Owner's Manual, the bulb is an HB3.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079KB8J98/?tag=serious-20
Cannot vouch for the performance of those bulbs since the housing is built for a halogen bulb.

Peter

domct203

Pilots The Beast
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS
9005 & 9006 bulbs are single filament bulbs used for either hi-beam only or low-beam only. These bulbs will only have two connection pins in the socket, and only one visible filament in the glass.
A 9007 bulb is a dual filament bulb used for both hi and low beam, they will have three connection pins in the socket, and two visible filaments in the glass.

Mr A

Reaction score
City, State
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport

domct203

Pilots The Beast
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS
Yes, it’s one bulb in the housing.
I don’t think that answers the question.

It may be one bulb, but does it function as both low and high beam. A 9005/H3 style bulb is usually only one filament.

How many connection pins does the bulb have?

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3

It may be one bulb, but does it function as both low and high beam. A 9005/H3 style bulb is usually only one filament.

That Explorer has an HB3 bulb. If it is either a low or high beam, then it probably is a high beam bulb but the Explorer has a shutter that covers part of the bulb when low beam is selected.

Peter

Green94

Reaction score
City, State
Lafayette, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport

It should have answered the question. The one bulb serves as both low and high beam. If you look at the link I sent, it is very clear. I have the same vehicle, with the same headlights and even provided a link to a LED headlight bulb to solve the problem.

domct203

Pilots The Beast
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS
It should have answered the question. The one bulb serves as both low and high beam. If you look at the link I sent, it is very clear. I have the same vehicle, with the same headlights and even provided a link to a LED headlight bulb to solve the problem.
Yes, I believe peterk9 already made that clear.