LED In Grills - Sizes/Mounting | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED In Grills - Sizes/Mounting

ExpoinLA

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
BQ4pFAV.jpg

I tried to to the bull bar, but then I saw Bikelfe's setup..

What size are these? How do they mount up? any behind the bumper pics? Did you hardwire them together? are they on standalone switches or tied to highbeams?

What are some other more setups you guys have done? Anything in the grills?

I was also trying to find the 50-52" light bar mounts? there was a guy on ebay, but he wont give me his number and I want to make sure he makes them and he has 50/52, so not sure WHICH freaking bar it supports..

Any photos of a 52" lightbar on a 2001 Gen 2 Sport? Would like to see how the windshield mount looks?

Would you do white or black on a white truck? I have black components but thought the white would look sharp..

Also in CA do you need covers on them or most cops wont harass you?

do I want straight lights or the flood/spot combos? CREE only right?

More curious how you mounted them in there and what mounts I need and if they come with the kits on ebay etc..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello,

I have a 2nd Gen, and there is a good spot to stick a 20" light bar right in the bumper hole with little effort. A 22" would fit but would require some trimming in there.

I went for an eBay special that has adjustable mounts. You can slide the mounts to the left or right to get in there as the middle is a little wider than the sides. It fit right in there and I bolted it up through the bottom. Everything I needed to mount it was included in the eBay kit.

However... Bars from this seller don't come with wiring harness or switch so you will have to purchase that stuff separately. I bought a relay harness that connects directly to the battery and has a remote so that I can use it as a work light outside of the truck.

eBay link to 20" bar:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291419336137?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The quality was surprisingly good for the price and It's bright as F*%K! i'ts a CREE flood/spot combo which is the style I would recommend. I would also recommend this seller as he sells a lot of light bars and his feedback is outstanding.

Pics:
BaHcIkCh.jpg

PY9zPEHh.jpg

There is room behind the grill to mount something behind there but I would recommend changing out the stock grill to more of a mesh type grill. This would also protect the bar from branches and road debris as well as deter theft by hiding it better. I was thinking about purchasing a plastic cover that snaps on to protect it when I'm not using it or parked in a sketchy neighborhood. Definitely get black as you probably don't want to draw more attention to it than you really need to. Not sure about CA laws but here in NY the cops don't care as long as you don't switch it on in the streets.

Keep Explorin' buddy! :us: :us: :us:

Hello,

I have a 2nd Gen, and there is a good spot to stick a 20" light bar right in the bumper hole with little effort. A 22" would fit but would require some trimming in there. :us: :us: :us:

Did you drill two holes into the channel of the metal bumper and mount the light directly to the bumper, or did you have custom brackets that came off of something else. Also is there vibration in the beam when you travel down a gravel road or rough road?

IMG_1576.jpg

IMG_1680.jpg

This is my set up mounted right to the bumper.
They are Whelen Nano6.
Super Super bright too.

Did you drill two holes into the channel of the metal bumper and mount the light directly to the bumper, or did you have custom brackets that came off of something else. Also is there vibration in the beam when you travel down a gravel road or rough road?

:exp::exp::exp:

I used the mounting brackets that came with the light bar...
They are adjustable 2 ways. I adjusted it so the bolts stick straight down like in the first pic below.

Next, drilled a couple holes through the bumper in a spot where it was wide enough to accommodate the mounts so the bar sat flush and bolted it right in there.
It's super tight and solid and there is absolutely no vibration or anything at all because its bolted directly into the bumper.

$_57.jpg

$_57.jpg

LLB12-126_(6)-1.jpg

How the bracket fits in there:
kEmj8dxl.jpg

One of the bolts from the bottom:
OAf0eNMl.jpg

vsHoaKKl.jpg

H688MPCl.jpg

Back