LED Light bar grille | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED Light bar grille

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Limited 4.6
Tossing around the idea of welding up a steel grille like this, would appreciate some input. Not sure what emblem to use in the center yet
Used another members truck as a platform to photshop.

20141007_205703_zps97e83f33.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have been very interested in these style grilles but no manufacturer makes them for us, if you do go through with this build id love to possibly buy one from you.

as for the center emblem why not draw your own up or spin something off of the big name guys manufacturing these?

I made something like this for my 1st gen a while back.
nori9fD.jpg

Xezo3gG.jpg

BUVfGYS.jpg

It is made with expanded steel, 3/4" wide flat stock, some angle iron, more bits of flat stock (for upper mounts and for spacers to push the bottom mounts out more (bottom mounts are the angle iron.)

It wasnt super difficult except for the bending. it is very dificult to get the double curve to make one of these look decent when installed. i managed to get the expanded steel to curve both ways using a roller-bender.

I made something like this for my 1st gen a while back.
nori9fD.jpg

Xezo3gG.jpg

BUVfGYS.jpg

It is made with expanded steel, 3/4" wide flat stock, some angle iron, more bits of flat stock (for upper mounts and for spacers to push the bottom mounts out more (bottom mounts are the angle iron.)

It wasnt super difficult except for the bending. it is very dificult to get the double curve to make one of these look decent when installed. i managed to get the expanded steel to curve both ways using a roller-bender.

Thanks for letting me know how yours was done. I'll try the bending method but if I can't get it,I'm just gonna grind the curves into it

Thanks for letting me know how yours was done. I'll try the bending method but if I can't get it,I'm just gonna grind the curves into it

I guess I don't understand what you mean by grind the curves into it.. The shape of your grill will need to have some fancy bending in the direction that the metal wont want to bend to match the curve of the grill area. Plus the expanded steel has to be bent both vertically and horizontally to look right.

I thought about bending it just vertically, but if it didn't follow the horizontal curve of the hood it would have looked off.
If you are just talking about the 3/4" trim, that bit would be hard to get the curve shape from for your sides. For that I suggest getting a piece of flat plate that you can simply cut the whole side piece out of, do you have any friends with a plasma cutter, or a good torch, or mad grinder skills?

Back