LED Mirror Light Conversion (Pics) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED Mirror Light Conversion (Pics)

Which trim levels come with the lighted mirrors?

mine has then, and i've got a 99 xlt with the "sport package" (or whatever it's called) with the big plastic bumper and fog lights, power everything, sunroof.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am kinda new to electronics but I really want to attempt to do this. Anyway, I have a dumb question. What is the copper looking stuff you used to connet all the negative leads?

I am kinda new to electronics but I really want to attempt to do this. Anyway, I have a dumb question. What is the copper looking stuff you used to connet all the negative leads?

I just stripped off all the insulation off the copper wire to make connecting all the negative leads easier. It all gets covered with hot glue so you don't have to worry about it.

Okay thanks. I have another dumb question. :confused: In your first post, it says that you used 55,000 mcd LED's, I can't find them anywhere. Did you mean to type 5,000 mcd by chance? Thank you again.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just found the right ones on Ebay.

on mine i used 6 10mm leds with (140,000mcd)
here's the pic
2v024q1.jpg

I want to redo my puddle lights with leds and have more under the body infront of the frame cause LEDs look so good:p:

^^^ thanks
now i wished they would have had these when i did mine
BUWLC4363W55BC26-powered.jpg

:eek: (825,000 mcd) thats SUPER bright

I wonder why there is an * in front of the mcd.

Do you have a link?

For those of you lazy like me, you can buy the LED boards and everything put together off ebay for like $11 shipped a board. Mine had like 12 or something on them with a connector on the end that plugs straight into the 894 socket. No slicing wires or anything. I need to take a pic tonight.

For those of you lazy like me, you can buy the LED boards and everything put together off ebay for like $11 shipped a board. Mine had like 12 or something on them with a connector on the end that plugs straight into the 894 socket. No slicing wires or anything. I need to take a pic tonight.

i like doing my own board cause i can allways change it, and i know how bright the leds are

Wow this not only took me forever, but the pic isn't that great either ha

DSCN0228.jpg

The bulbs were awesome when i bought em but they've faded so they're due for replacing. Hard to get a good pic too sorry guys....

hey, im pretty sure that you dont need to solder on a resistor fr each and every led, you can just run a series circuit for 3 leds and use one resistor for each group of 3.

actually, it all depends. if youre wiring in series and using a resistor on 3 led's that changes the resistance completely. lets say you have a led that is rated at 3 volts operating power. if you run 4 of those in a series, you can hook them to 12 volts without a resistor. so if the resistor is meant to bump down to 3v from 12, and you have 3 3v leds in a series with one resistor, they should be getting 9v combined not 3v combined. but if you use a resistor meant for 1 led, it bumps it down to 3v instead of the needed 9. essentially, wiring a resistor to each led is a much easier way to get the brightest output for your leds. make sense?

Everything 98xploder said is correct

Also keep in mind that there can be up to 13.5 volts when the engine is running so if you wire 4 3 volt LEDs in series they will have a very short lifespan. Also what I don't like about wiring LEDs in series is that the LED attached to the + and the LED that is attached to the - will receive slightly more voltage then the other LEDs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very nice job. I think I may want to try this.

Back