LED Rear Stop Light Bulb Removal 22 Ex | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED Rear Stop Light Bulb Removal 22 Ex

jsgoofn

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Beautiful Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2022 Explorer ST-Line
I checked all forums using search and found nothing recent.

I was planning to swap out the LED stop light bulbs on my 22 Timberline. When I removed the tail light assembly, it is the only one that is not a twist off bulb. It looks like it clips in with a clip that is either push or pull to release. Has anyone attempted this and how did it go?

You are probably asking, why do you want to replace since they are LED? There is a neat LED bulb that has a quick strobe effect then goes solid. I've seen those on emergency and commercial vehicles. There is a YT video of how they work.

And YES they are legal. They flash 3 times then go solid.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I suspect that this is not a bulb, so a different bulb can't just be swapped in.

I suspect that this is not a bulb, so a different bulb can't just be swapped in.
You are probably correct. I will check it out tomorrow or ask Ford directly. Thanks for the quick reply!

it is built into the tail light and cannot be replaced. it's one reason why our tail lights cost $500+ each

it is built into the tail light and cannot be replaced. it's one reason why our tail lights cost $500+ each
Oh, well. :rolleyes:

It just looks like it can be removed with the clip on the side - wishful thinking!

You are probably correct. I will check it out tomorrow or ask Ford directly. Thanks for the quick reply!
You can replace the turn signal bulb with this led you reference and use Forscan to change your turn signal light to now be stop light and turn signal. Otherwise you won't be able to do what you want.

Oh, well. :rolleyes:

It just looks like it can be removed with the clip on the side - wishful thinking!
The integrated LED board might be removable, but then you don't have a structure to hold the bulb socket, nor the socket itself, nor an effective reflector for a 360' beam pattern bulb opposed to a broad area array of 180' LEDs... if it's set up the way I suspect.

You can replace the turn signal bulb with this led you reference and use Forscan to change your turn signal light to now be stop light and turn signal. Otherwise you won't be able to do what you want.
Interesting, but I think I will just leave it alone. I swapped the regular bulbs to LED already so I'll just be content.

Instead of focusing in on replacing the actual brake light bulb, I'd look at brake light modules (of which there are many) that you can splice into the factory wiring to give you the same effect.

The integrated LED board might be removable, but then you don't have a structure to hold the bulb socket, nor the socket itself, nor an effective reflector for a 360' beam pattern bulb opposed to a broad area array of 180' LEDs... if it's set up the way I suspect.
True.
Instead of focusing in on replacing the actual brake light bulb, I'd look at brake light modules (of which there are many) that you can splice into the factory wiring to give you the same effect.
Thanks! I'll check out that option.

Sorry I really dislike being the poor person behind you in traffic having to see these in stop/go.
I get the purpose and based on that ... in Europe for HARD/EMERGENCY stops they flash the hazards but not for regular stops.

Sorry I really dislike being the poor person behind you in traffic having to see these in stop/go.
I get the purpose and based on that ... in Europe for HARD/EMERGENCY stops they flash the hazards but not for regular stops.
These only blink 3 times fast before going steady. I've seen these on emergency vehicles but not on regular vehicles. But, as another said, the LEDs that are installed are not bulbs so you couldn't swap them out anyway. But I appreciate your comment. They always seem to have good ideas in Europe regarding safety.

^ Yeah but in stop 'n go driving, that 3 becomes 3 x 500. ;)

In some states they are illegal on anything but emergency vehicles. Others describe # of flashes or time or something, IIRC. It might even be federal code, not sure.

^ Yeah but in stop 'n go driving, that 3 becomes 3 x 500. ;)

In some states they are illegal on anything but emergency vehicles. Others describe # of flashes or time or something, IIRC. It might even be federal code, not sure.
So true how that would be exceedingly irritating! I was chatting with a local police officer and the topic of vehicle mods came up and I asked about this and he mentioned that because the 3 blinks are relatively fast, it's not considered a violation - at least for the local PD. But, I've definitely scratched the option of the list of mods. Definitely don't want to be "that guy"!

Yes. You can buy a brake light flasher module on the internet. Splice into the hot lead to the CHMSL and find a ground. You can usually set it for the pattern you want to use. My Mustang is four rapid flashes followed by four slower ones, then solid. Some of them skip the flashy-flashy if the interval of brake application is < 30 sec (as in oozing through traffic).

You'll see these more on motorcycles.

Back