LED Rear Under Seat Lighting (PICs) | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED Rear Under Seat Lighting (PICs)

This is part 2 to the Under Dash lighting mod I did several months ago. It took some thinking but I figured out how to do and LED setup under the rear seats and still have the seats fold up and down.

What you will need:
1/16 3/4x48 piece of aluminum angle ( Home Depot )
6 5mm Blue 13000mcd LEDs (grind the tips flat)
6 Resistors 470 ohm (the actual resistance was 463ohm)
Double sided tape
light gauge wire

The Stock
IMG_0107.jpg

First cut a piece for the single seat to 12" and a piece for the double seat to 25.5"
IMG_0106.jpg

For the single seat I drilled 2 5mm holes about .5" from each side of seat supports. And put an LED in each hole.
IMG_0096.jpg

For the double seat I also drilled 2 holes roughly .5" from each support, then found center, and then found half of each side from center and drilled the holes ( if that gibberish doesn't make sense drill a hole roughly every 6")
IMG_0097-2.jpg

Unbolt the seat supports and poke a hole thought the carpet and fish the wire to the plastic door trim under the carpet.
IMG_0100.jpg

Wire them to a switch, I used the same switch as the under dash lighting.
and turn them on
IMG_0101-1.jpg

Will get some pictures tonight of them on

Good Luck!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey i also got mine from hong kong and it took forever at least thats how it felt....... they took about 3 weeks maybe just over that
Danny
nothing sux more then waiting for parts:rolleyes:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I got a question for ya...

What did you use to insulate the bare wires on the backside of the angle-irons? I dont want my bare wires to touch the metal and short it all out...

I got a question for ya...

What did you use to insulate the bare wires on the backside of the angle-irons? I dont want my bare wires to touch the metal and short it all out...

I tapped a piece of electrical tape to the angle stock as a precaution. Then hot glue over all the connections so that nothing shorts out.

Oh sweet! I was hoping you didnt say you just hot glued everything and had to hold it there while it dried.

I'll post my awesome rig for mounting the lights to the angle iron later :) it was my dads idea.

Let me ask...Does this effect anything when you fold down the seats? Im afraid of doing this because i am constantly flipping my seats up and down? Any problems with this?
-Kug

Let me ask...Does this effect anything when you fold down the seats? Im afraid of doing this because i am constantly flipping my seats up and down? Any problems with this?
-Kug

yes you can still raise and lower the seat

thanks alot, its MEGA appreciated.
_kug

Before you just throw the LED bar you created under the back seats, double check everything to make sure it doesnt smash the lights into the floor. Mine would have smashed into the floor if i didnt put them far enough back. I actually put neon up into the padding of the back seat to be sure that they wouldnt hit the floor

Heres mine, ive had them done for a while but didnt take pics. I did something a bit diffrent than everyone else. I also wanted them to serve a purpose so i did 2 colors: white and blue. hooked them up through relays so the blues automaticly turn on when doors open, but i also have the option to switch them on when dome lights are off or when doors are closed. Switch is on-off-on and one side turns on blues one side turns on white. I mounted the switch and potentiomenter in compartment that holds garage door opener. I also put some in glovebox attached to a normally closed refriderator type switch, so they only turn on when the lid is opened. I tried to take as best pics as i could. if you need any help with yours just pm me.

2009-12-20%2020.21.55.png

2009-12-21%2019.33.27.png

2009-12-21%2019.31.38.png

Shows where i mounted drivers side

2009-12-21%2019.35.25.png

2009-12-21%2019.36.43.png

2009-12-21%2019.36.01.png

x?authkey=Gv1sRgCPH2tryVq8SEBg#5417855655241502354.png

Thanks! that means alot coming from you since you have done so much lighting work.

did you mount the switch up in the garage door opener lid so it sticks through? or do you have to open the lid to get to the switch?
check out my homemade center console where the old cup holders used to be.
dont really know how to post photos yet, so heres my facebook link, check it out!
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=165857&id=679308102&l=0b694a16e9

you have to open it to get to the switch, but i dont want it visible so its perfect.

My only question is how are they attched to the seat? did you just slide them in?

This might be a dumb question but is there a certain way to wire an LED light? I guess what i am trying to say is one side negative and the other positive or does it make a difference. Thanks

Im thinking of using led christmas light bulbs does this sound possible

Back