LED Rear Under Seat Lighting (PICs) | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED Rear Under Seat Lighting (PICs)

This is part 2 to the Under Dash lighting mod I did several months ago. It took some thinking but I figured out how to do and LED setup under the rear seats and still have the seats fold up and down.

What you will need:
1/16 3/4x48 piece of aluminum angle ( Home Depot )
6 5mm Blue 13000mcd LEDs (grind the tips flat)
6 Resistors 470 ohm (the actual resistance was 463ohm)
Double sided tape
light gauge wire

The Stock
IMG_0107.jpg

First cut a piece for the single seat to 12" and a piece for the double seat to 25.5"
IMG_0106.jpg

For the single seat I drilled 2 5mm holes about .5" from each side of seat supports. And put an LED in each hole.
IMG_0096.jpg

For the double seat I also drilled 2 holes roughly .5" from each support, then found center, and then found half of each side from center and drilled the holes ( if that gibberish doesn't make sense drill a hole roughly every 6")
IMG_0097-2.jpg

Unbolt the seat supports and poke a hole thought the carpet and fish the wire to the plastic door trim under the carpet.
IMG_0100.jpg

Wire them to a switch, I used the same switch as the under dash lighting.
and turn them on
IMG_0101-1.jpg

Will get some pictures tonight of them on

Good Luck!

Im thinking of using led christmas light bulbs does this sound possible

Well you would not be able to use household LED Christmas lights because they are made to run of 120v AC. Cars run on a 12v DC system so the lights wouldn't work without putting a 120v AC Inverter in your truck.

I'm sure they make 12v DC Christmas lights for cars but they will be alot more expensive than using component LEDs.

You might want to consider LED Strip Lights instead.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-...ltDomain_0&hash=item19c9cab977#ht_2908wt_1185

No im saying find how many light up per section divide that by 120 tells you what the wattage per bulb is cut the strand then I can get bulbs as low as 8 cents and without shipping

I bought strip lights a while back and did this to both under my dash and seats to my 97. I have a dual switch to where I switch it one way it will turn the lights on and the other way makes it go to the beat of my music (attached to my subwoofer). The only downfall of me doing that is that when I have it on the side that just cuts the lights on, it doesn't project as bright as what it shows in your pictures. It's odd, but it's not a peeve.

Back