LED strips from China... anyone use before? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED strips from China... anyone use before?

Hey Guys,

I came across these LED strips from China on eBay and was considering getting some and putting them, probably, on the bottom bumper... not totally decided yet. Has anyone tried these before? I've seen similar setups on more "tuner" cars and thought it looked pretty cool. I was thinking about wiring them into my stock fog lights... any issues there if I did do that? thanks!

here is the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/12168087503...trkparms=gh1g=I121680875033.N7.S1.M357.R1.TR4

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For under $10, it's like playing the lottery. Try 'em.

I just ordered an LED light bar off ebay.

People have said how they're so scared of getting burned on ebay and that people scam on there, but honestly, with all the buyer protection now, you're safe and can even get your money back if they're crappy.

I have those lights as supplemental back up lights on the Explorer. They work great for short distance and are very bright. Stick very well too.
I have purchased all of my LED lights off ebay, and am very pleased with them.
They are those little yellow stripes on the tire and gas can swing outs
IMG_20150415_105710718_HDR_Medium_.jpg

I have not tried those particular. But I have purchased lots of LED lights from China and have no complaints with there quality. Just be patient getting stuff from China can take 2-3 weeks

other than the pcb's n possible mercury contamination you cant beat the price..

Genuine Motorcraft brake drums are now Made in China.

cool! thanks guys, I have bought some from China as well and used on my motorcycle... was just wondering about these specifically. Glad to see they are working for people, I think I will be grabbing a set!

Haven't bought these but I did get some leds for my cluster, hvac panel and license plate lights from China and have had 4 of them burn out on me already. Granted I did but like a 20 pack for $6 bucks but in the end you do pay for what you get. They are nice and bright so no complaints there.

I completely converted my truck to LED with those cheap chinese Led Strips. Here are some images.

Front_Truck.jpg

Gauge_Cluster.jpg

Interior.jpg

Side_Truck.jpg

I completely converted my truck to LED with those cheap chinese Led Strips. Here are some images.

Front_Truck.jpg

Gauge_Cluster.jpg

Interior.jpg

Side_Truck.jpg

those look great! I totally forgot to buy them this weekend but I think I am going to grab a set this week. thanks for all the pics!

I'm also thinking about wiring them into my fog lights so they come on at the same time... are these ok to just splice into the current wires as they are or do I need to do anything else? SHould they be run totally separate and connected to the battery and a switch? what would be my best option? thanks guys!

LED Lights

From what I have read you should install a diode in line with the LED.

But my other post is about a problem I am having with my LED I added, so maybe you should not listem to me. :)

What? The D in LED stands for diode. An LED is a diode.

So they should be good to just wire into the current fog light wires?

From what I have read you should install a diode in line with the LED.

You might be thinking of a resistor. Sometimes you have to wire a resistor inline.

You might be thinking of a resistor. Sometimes you have to wire a resistor inline.

AFAIK, resisters are used to slow down a flasher due to the very low amp draw of LED's. Not necessary in this case as the light will pull what it needs off the feed.

AFAIK, resisters are used to slow down a flasher due to the very low amp draw of LED's. Not necessary in this case as the light will pull what it needs off the feed.

Resistors are used with LEDs to limit the current draw.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just received the 2 sets I ordered and tried them with a bench power supply, pretty bright, would be good accent. i bought some to use in the interior, looks like they will work well. All tested ok, no dead spots. very inexpensive. The only thing I would probably do if mounted outside would be silicone the area where the wires go to the LED board.
I just got a 30" light bar on amazon for 30 bucks, crazy bright.
I have found it is hit and miss with the imported stuff.

Back